Orpingtons

NLmedic709

In the Brooder
Jul 29, 2023
I bought five straight run Orpington’s in hopes that I would win the chicken lottery and get all pullets. I have two lavenders and three blacks. The photo isn’t the greatest, but the breeder has marked them P for pullet and C for cockerel. They’re currently 8 weeks old, which I know can be early to sex Orpington’s, but I’m curious as to what I might need to find new addresses for. Ignore the white roo in the back.
IMG_3710.jpeg

Do you have another pic of the black one far left? And I'm very suspicious of your other lavender, that's an awful lot of wattle for 8 weeks on an orp. And I cannot see the head of the other black one with it's face in the feeder
The black with the head in the feeder looks identical to the middle black. The one far left has a little bit more comb/wattle development than the other two, and is slightly pink, but nothing near what the lavender marked cockerel has. The lavender marked pullet is larger than the one marked cockerel, and doesn’t have the tail development that the one marked cockerel has, and the comb/wattle is paler than the cockerel as well. They’re terribly difficult to photograph. I’m hoping that the breeder ends up being right - I’ll take a 4:1 ratio on straight run any day.

The black with the head in the feeder looks identical to the middle black. The one far left has a little bit more comb/wattle development than the other two, and is slightly pink, but nothing near what the lavender marked cockerel has. The lavender marked pullet is larger than the one marked cockerel, and doesn’t have the tail development that the one marked cockerel has, and the comb/wattle is paler than the cockerel as well. They’re terribly difficult to photograph. I’m hoping that the breeder ends up being right - I’ll take a 4:1 ratio on straight run any day.
I don't think the breeder is unless they have extremely fast maturing pullets. These are my lavender and splash pullets at 12 almost 13 weeks. These were my blacks and blue last year at 15 weeks (notice there is almost no comb or wattle growth, besides on my cockerel) I could be wrong, just giving my opinion.

Attachments

• 20230718_155819.jpg
    20230718_155819.jpg
    991.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220819_162405.jpg
    20220819_162405.jpg
    614.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220819_162745.jpg
    20220819_162745.jpg
    807.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Back