Ostriches for Property Protection?

Bravo

Songster
10 Years
Aug 24, 2009
CA
I know this is a silly question but I have to ask it anyways...

Has anyone heard of ostriches being used for the protection of property?

A few years back I read an article about mechanical shop being burglarized. The owner tried alarm systems to no avail and even bought 3 German protection Rottweilers for some exorbitant price and the burglars stole those too. After that someone suggested he buy ostriches and since then he hasn't had a break in.

Has anyone heard this story? I know it was from a credible publication but I cant seem to find any trace of it online. Anyone have a link handy?

Thanks!!

I believe it. Ostriches and emu are very curious, and will pick at anything shiny, bright colored or different. Even if they are not mean (which if you handraise emu chicks they are not) they sure scare the buggers out of people and they will peck and pull making it almost impossible to move about ( when not trained the NO command- and even then most don't listen to strangers, LOL)

A lot of people won't even step on my property. Something about a dinosaur looking bird with big claws freaks people out.....
lol.png

I personally wouldn't get an ostrich, emu are a lot nicer but still scary.

7205_jazztatdoor1.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Too funny! I love your picture!! If I had property I would definitely have Emu's--they are just stunning birds.

Hopefully I can find the article somewhere. I have a running bet with a friend and I need proof to win
wink.png

Quote:
Jazzy is quite the character! I can just see him peck-knocking on the sliding glass door to say "excuse me, I'm hungry!" I'm sure if your door was open he would have invited himself in for a quick bite
smile.png

What does an emu eat?! What a stunning bird. I imagine the fellow who stole my flock of hens would have thought twice if I had one of those patrolling the grounds. Do they just intimidate people, or do they also make noise when there's an intruder?

Back
Top Bottom