Other people's kids! Aaaagh!

I have WHAT in my yard? :

By 9 most kids should have the basics down most of the time.

HAH! My stepson is 14 and behaves like a spoiled 5 year old. He interrupts adult conversations, and if you dont answer him immediately he stands there going "dad, dad, dad, dad...." his mother is obviously lacking in several departments.....
The interrupting is the least of the concerns, he has gottena bit better with my iron fist ruling the roost during his weekends with DH, but I dont think that kid ever hears No at home...EVER​

Quote:
Agreed. Your child likes this brat, so tolerating her for 24 hours is your gift to your child. Present the foods you planned.

Personally, I would have a veggie/fruit/cheese tray as a back up, though. Healthy snacks can be offered without it ruining the fun. And you being so thoughtful will probably be noticed by your daughter
wink.png

But otherwise, do exactly as you planned!

100% agree.............. but don't forget the contact telephone number for the parents.......

Good luck................................
hugs.gif

Ol'FashionHen :

Davaroo I'm with you. Kids like rules wether they admit it or not.
I do the same thing these are the rules and that is that.
thumbsup.gif

tongue.gif
"Show no mercy"
tongue.gif

lau.gif
sorry ... I couldn't help it
gig.gif

My son starts school next week, to become a certified auto tech. 62 weeks worth of the NASCAR TECH INSTITUTE.

He needs a car, for getting to and fro and for working on as his "project." I've agreed to get him one.

"Treat it like the gold it both literally, and figuratively, represents," I told him. "Without it, you will be dead in the water.
This will be the one and only."

He knows I mean it.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Its not about considering what they want, or anything else, with kids. It is really much simpler than that - it's about teaching them what Barnie doesn't:

We're going to love you no matter what. But, unless you have some exceedingly rare condition or situation at birth, you're not "special." There are a gazillion kids out there, equally as "unique" as you. The world at large cares little for what you want...
That is, until you do something worthwhile, show respect for what's been placed before you and pull your own weight. The sooner you start these things, the better off you'll be.​

Last edited:
Yeah, I have had people tell me that we are too strict with our children. But, then the very same people tell me what a joy our children are to be around!!

We don't expect automatons. I truly think children are happier when they get straightforward plain rules that stick. The point is to teach them manners first and then critical thinking skills. Judgement comes with those two in place.

So let me edit:

By 9 most kids should have the basics down most of the time, if their parents teach them!

Better??

Quote:
My son starts school next week, to become a certified auto tech. 62 weeks worth of the NASCAR TECH INSTITUTE.

He needs a car, for getting to and fro and for working on as his "project." I've agreed to get him one.

"Treat it like the gold it both literally, and figuratively, represents," I told him. "Without it, you will be dead in the water.
This will be the one and only."

He knows I mean it.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Its not about considering what they want, or anything else, with kids. It is really much simpler than that - it's about teaching them what Barnie doesn't:

We're going to love you no matter what. But, unless you have some exceedingly rare condition or situation at birth, you're not "special." There are a gazillion kids out there, equally as "unique" as you. The world at large cares little for what you want...
That is, until you do something worthwhile, show respect for what's been placed before you and pull your own weight. The sooner you start these things, the better off you'll be.

you sound just like my husband. he has told them all the same thing and its so true!

Quote:
you sound just like my husband. he has told them all the same thing and its so true!

We guys are sorta condtioned to think this way - the yang to the ladie's' yin.

Yay! I'm glad to see some parents with sense! I think you have a handle on it now.

When my DD has guests it's her responsibility to do "mild" policing, "oh we can't pour coke on the floor at my house! (running for paper towels)". But I don't have any compunction about correcting any child at my house. My house, my rules. You bring your child over to my house, be ready for it. If they don't like it they don't come back, and just as well. Many a child has received instruction about what is proper and what is not while at my house LOL. i.e. "It is considered rude to speak to me in that tone, do not do it again!"

You will call me "Miss Terri", I am not Terri to you. (It's a southern thing, it's always Miss or Mr and the first name here).

Here's my basic rule. I will not be held hostage in my own home by other people's children. Not gonna happen.

For this specific child, knowing the "food" issue, I would probably have some fruit and a veg tray in addition to whatever else I had planned to have. And then let them go at it. When she gets there lay down the rules that you have. Put the basic responsibility onto your DD for the actions of her guests (plenty old enough to tell what is acceptable and what isn't, mine has been responsible for it since 6). And let them have fun.

Starting off, I'll say I'm also in Davaroo's camp.

I'm in the same general situation this weekend. My daughter's 9th birthday party is Saturday, and it's a sleep-over. I'm always dreading inviting kids over that we don't know or haven't been around at another function to have an idea of how they behave. In this case, we do know a couple of them, and they're great kids, lots of fun. So far, they're the only two who've RSVP'd. I usually have a mix of things on offer for food and drink, so we've never had an issue with that before, but behavior has been a problem.

Things are pretty simple around here. My house=My rules. Period.

I have had occasion to look a child in the eye and say "I don't care how you speak to your mother when you're at home or anywhere else away from here-that's her problem, but when you're at my house, you *will* speak to everybody-including your mother-politely. You *will* do as you're told and you *will* be respectful of others and other people's things. If you don't do those things, you will leave and you will not be welcome to come back." I've said it in front of the parent-I prefer to say it in front of the parent-and I'll do it again if I have to. Kids have been sent home before..it won't hurt my feelings to do it again.

My kids aren't brats and I'm not interested in importing.

You know, Winston Churchill said that..."If you arent a liberal at 20, then you have no heart. If you aren't a conservative by 40, then you have no head."

He wasn't only referring to politics, his comments having wider application. For example, did you ever notice there seems to be a decided shift in people's thinking - the moment children enter the picture?

Let a kid run amok, and it is our own sanity which is placed at risk.

Never mind , although its my opinion and there isnt anything wrong with it , I decided as it could be taken the wrong way and hurt someones feelings though its not ment to I will just agree to desagree. Enjoy your thread and good luck with your DD birthday

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom