Our Haloween TRICK RIR I THINK opinions???

horseyjess

Songster
14 Years
Sep 2, 2009
SW Florida
I am thinking that I am the only sucker oops I mean person in the world that took her kids Trick or Treating in a fully RESIDENTAL area and came home with a Rooster!! I go in my mothers/ grandmothers neighborhood to take the kids trick or treating. I get a call from my mom Jess where are you there is a rooster in the empty lot across the street can you get him? It was getting dark and I was heading her way and low and behold he was roosting in a bush in the lot across the street from her. I picked him up she begged me to take him home cause he is loud so I did. I know he is a RIR I am thinking a purebred young cause he doesnt have spurs.. What do we think of him. I was thinking Heck he would actually be perfect to let my daughter show in 4-H it has taken these last 5 days to be able to pick him up without getting pecked he seems to be coming around decently. I just am getting Roo overrun! I have got two stray roos in the last month... So please judge him and would you keep him or let him go he is so pretty to me just seems like he may be to much to keep. How old do you think he is? Thanks (oh the smile on my daughter was forced cause she knew I was putting the pictures online she is still a bit scared of him not to bad but he was pecking so that had her scared)

40479_pb031155.jpg

40479_pb031156.jpg

40479_pb031157.jpg

Last edited:
Can you get a better pic of him? He looks more like a partridge rock to me. His breast looks black and the type doesnt look RIR at all to me. So does he have a black breast? If so I say a partridge rock and not a bad one either.

Quote:
I can get a picture of his breast but it will have to be tomorrow this time change has me screwed up and its dark out. But his breast is red like the rest of him.

He's a young RIR.
He's not bad and might be a nice 4-H bird..
I would say that he is from a hatchery and not from a breeder.
So please judge him and would you keep him or let him go

This is just my thoughts on him..
He looks uneven in color, sort in the back, light in the under color, and he should have reddish bay color eyes..
Now with that said it is hard to judge a bird when being held in a picture alot can change the way a bird looks..
If NYREDS chimes in he can give you a better judement on him..
Like I said he might be a good 4-H bird...

Chris​

He looks like a nice young RIR roo, hatchery of course, but better than some pictures that I've seen.

Looks like mine did not very long ago (mine came from TSC) His legs are still corn colored yellow and no spurs. About the time he starts to grow spurs his legs will also get reddish/pink speckles on them and they will take on an overall orange look. I was kinda freaked when that happened, since he's one of the oldest chickens I have raised.

I think he's beautiful!
big_smile.png

ROTFL
I am so glad I did not go Trick or Treating! I don't know if you got the trick or the treat!
lau.gif

I can't take having another roo. I have about 22 right now that need to be put in the freezer but they are not all old enough.

He is totally gorgeous!
droolin.gif

You have checked around to see if someone lost him, right? I have a few that are wild sometimes and fly out of their fence. Maybe someone is looking for him. If not, he is still very beautiful and seems to be a sweet fella so far.

Back
Top Bottom