Our Mixed Flock Journey!

cavemanrich

Enabler
Apr 6, 2014
Melrose Park Illinois
We use those too, but it doesn't kill the root system...they keep coming back, so we have to spray them!
I have some blackberry bushes growing in one of my flower beds. I sure wish they would spread much better than they are doing. The ground is fertile. When I tied them up to keep them upright, they died back at point of tie contact. I used cloth about 1 inch wide to do the tying. I don't get berries on the new twig growth of that year, but only on the twigs that were there prior year. I pretty much got nothing to eat off these bushes this year.
I don't use pesticides or any type of control killer on my lawn, or garden. Personal choice. I have used Diazinon in the past to kill ant hills. I buried it into ant hill. Now I use Borax. I still will use Sevin, to treat chicken coops if needed. It is not considered very toxic.

drstratton

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Mar 15, 2020
Eastern WA - USA
My Coop
I have some blackberry bushes growing in one of my flower beds. I sure wish they would spread much better than they are doing. The ground is fertile. When I tied them up to keep them upright, they died back at point of tie contact. I used cloth about 1 inch wide to do the tying. I don't get berries on the new twig growth of that year, but only on the twigs that were there prior year. I pretty much got nothing to eat off these bushes this year.
I don't use pesticides or any type of control killer on my lawn, or garden. Personal choice. I have used Diazinon in the past to kill ant hills. I buried it into ant hill. Now I use Borax. I still will use Sevin, to treat chicken coops if needed. It is not considered very toxic.
You don't want to keep them for the chooks? I'm sure they would love having those in their run.
Great cover and snacks. They would be a chicken favorite.
We put these blackberries in probably 20 years ago & they took over a huge section of the treeline...I don't like the thorns, it was a nightmare & in an area where we needed to be able to get into. We planted thornless blackberries & raspberries next to the fence...so they will still have blackberries & raspberries too (the raspberry plants have thorns, but they are easier to control)! I'm thinking about training the blackberries for a bramble in their pen...it will be good cover & food without the thorns! They really enjoyed the raspberries this summer...we should get blackberries next summer!

Ribh

Enabler
Dec 18, 2018
Island, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
My Coop
We put these blackberries in probably 20 years ago & they took over a huge section of the treeline...I don't like the thorns, it was a nightmare & in an area where we needed to be able to get into. We planted thornless blackberries & raspberries next to the fence...so they will still have blackberries & raspberries too (the raspberry plants have thorns, but they are easier to control)! I'm thinking about training the blackberries for a bramble in their pen...it will be good cover & food without the thorns! They really enjoyed the raspberries this summer...we should get blackberries next summer!
Agreed anything with thorns is a right royal pain. Lots of people grow Bouganvillia up here for the masses of brilliant flowers but I won't have it anywhere near the place. The thorns are vicious & I don't think the flowers are anything special. If it were scented I might reconsider, but it's not.

drstratton

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Mar 15, 2020
Eastern WA - USA
My Coop
Agreed anything with thorns is a right royal pain. Lots of people grow Bouganvillia up here for the masses of brilliant flowers but I won't have it anywhere near the place. The thorns are vicious & I don't think the flowers are anything special. If it were scented I might reconsider, but it's not.
Sadly the blackberries with thorns taste the best, but aren't worth growing in my opinion! Hopefully the new thornless variety will taste good!

drstratton

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Mar 15, 2020
Eastern WA - USA
My Coop
If it would grow here in my cool climate, I WOULD HAVE SOME:love
I grow roses, and they have thorns.... Just need good gloves when working around such.
BTW my blackberries are the THORN-LESS VARIETY... :thumbsup
It wouldn't have been so bad if we'd kept on top of them, but we just have to many other things to do around here!
How do you like your blackberries?

Top Bottom