Our Mixed Flock Journey!

Another not chicken related project! We stopped by our daughter's place on our way home this weekend and I got a video of the sand art picture I made for her last year. My son in law called me year before last and asked if I thought I could make something like this for her birthday...I told him I had no idea if I could, but I'd try. There is not a whole lot of information out there on doing this. I started out with an 8"x11" size and bought all kinds of different sand from Amazon, it took a lot of trial and error until I finally got the right combination...you need different grades to make it fall in layers. The glass is 24" round and mounted to a lazy susan component, so it can be turned, I can't remember how wide the frame is, 3-4"! I want to make one for myself one day. They keep telling me that I should sell them, they are super expensive to buy, but I would need my husband to join in to make the frames, but he's not really that interested in doing that!

Oh ma ga! That is amazing! I absolutely love this!! :love :love :love

I was going through some old pictures and found these! The first picture is our first flock, I can tell from the pen they are in, and then our second flock. I really didn't remember how beautiful they all were and what breeds we had...like I said before they were my youngest sons passion! They all free ranged in our yard! I'm so happy that our new flock is mostly safe with the new setup we have!
1st Flock.JPG
2nd Flock.JPG

I was going through some old pictures and found these! The first picture is our first flock, I can tell from the pen they are in, and then our second flock. I really didn't remember how beautiful they all were and what breeds we had...like I said before they were my youngest sons passion! They all free ranged in our yard! I'm so happy that our new flock is mostly safe with the new setup we have!View attachment 2546757View attachment 2546758
How cute, quite the selection. Are their any breeds you wouldn't get again. ?

How cute, quite the selection. Are their any breeds you wouldn't get again. ?
I wouldn't get the Rose Comb roosters from the second flock. One of them became very aggressive...we put him down after he attacked my elderly mother & then my husband. Some of the Bantams are fantastic flyers, the Seabrights & the Black Tailed White Japanese, I would love to have them again, but would worry about them getting out of the free range pen. I don't remember much about most of them, it was a long time ago & I wasn't as involved with the flock at that time.

I was going through some old pictures and found these! The first picture is our first flock, I can tell from the pen they are in, and then our second flock. I really didn't remember how beautiful they all were and what breeds we had...like I said before they were my youngest sons passion! They all free ranged in our yard! I'm so happy that our new flock is mostly safe with the new setup we have!View attachment 2546757View attachment 2546758
You had a lot of really nice chickens!!!
A lot of roosters in that crowd. Lol.
Is that a Light Brahma? (In front). I have two of those. (One is Princess, the one with the sticky-outie-leg.)

Last edited:
You had a lot of really nice chickens!!!
A lot of roosters in that crowd. Lol.
Is that a Light Brahma? I have two of those. (One is Princess, the one with the sticky-outie-leg.)
It could have been! I will have to ask my son, they were his chickens. We had to buy straight run...thus all the roosters!

I wouldn't get the Rose Comb roosters from the second flock. One of them became very aggressive...we put him down after he attacked my elderly mother & then my husband. Some of the Bantams are fantastic flyers, the Seabrights & the Black Tailed White Japanese, I would love to have them again, but would worry about them getting out of the free range pen. I don't remember much about most of them, it was a long time ago & I wasn't as involved with the flock at that time.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom