Our new Black Copper Marans and special guest stars of 3 Lavender Marans

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jopheso, Mar 21, 2017.

1. jopheso

jopheso Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2015
    Hi BYC,

We are super excited. We found a local breeder (local as in had to drive a few hours) that had some black copper marans chicks! We have been looking for these birds for a while and I didnt want to order from a hatchery. I was after something with proven egg quality and I found them. The big bonus was this particular breeder has been cultivating a Lavender Marans line since 2012 and he had 3 or them for sale so I snatched them up!!

Now we free range our birds so I will be sending all other roosters on the yard to freezer camp, so that I can free range the BCM without issues. My only quandry will be separating the lavenders from the BCM.

Anyway here they are so excited!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    That's quite a passel of them. Congratulations. [​IMG]

3. jopheso

Feb 13, 2015
    It is indeed! I think we will move them outside into the grow out tractor this weekend. They should be about 3 weeks old then and it isnt getting any lower than 60 degrees at night in South Louisiana so I think they will be fine. Please tell me if you disagree with that thinking.

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I get mine outside as soon as temperatures allow during the day. I often put them out during the day in a temporary movable pen, than back to the brooder for the night for a few weeks until they can stay out. I might wait a week or two, at 3 weeks I'm usually brooding at about 75 degrees. You have enough chicks there that they may or may not pile too much and smother some. I am always too cautious, but I haven't lost one yet.

5. jopheso

Feb 13, 2015
    lol it may be out of my hands. When I got home last night the chicks were in the grow out pin ouside :)

so far soo good I guess.

6. jopheso

Feb 13, 2015
    Shot a quick video of the chicks outside in the grow out pin/tractor. By the way if you are after a simple movable tractor set up I highly recommend this cattle panel style.

7. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Congrats on finding the breeds you wanted!

8. jopheso

Feb 13, 2015
    [​IMG]

Moved the Marans out of the grow out tractor and into the coop Yay!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by