Our new Black Copper Marans and special guest stars of 3 Lavender Marans

jopheso

Songster
Feb 13, 2015
Hi BYC,

We are super excited. We found a local breeder (local as in had to drive a few hours) that had some black copper marans chicks! We have been looking for these birds for a while and I didnt want to order from a hatchery. I was after something with proven egg quality and I found them. The big bonus was this particular breeder has been cultivating a Lavender Marans line since 2012 and he had 3 or them for sale so I snatched them up!!

Now we free range our birds so I will be sending all other roosters on the yard to freezer camp, so that I can free range the BCM without issues. My only quandry will be separating the lavenders from the BCM.

Anyway here they are so excited!

That's quite a passel of them. Congratulations.
1f600.png

That's quite a passel of them. Congratulations.
1f600.png

It is indeed! I think we will move them outside into the grow out tractor this weekend. They should be about 3 weeks old then and it isnt getting any lower than 60 degrees at night in South Louisiana so I think they will be fine. Please tell me if you disagree with that thinking.

I get mine outside as soon as temperatures allow during the day. I often put them out during the day in a temporary movable pen, than back to the brooder for the night for a few weeks until they can stay out. I might wait a week or two, at 3 weeks I'm usually brooding at about 75 degrees. You have enough chicks there that they may or may not pile too much and smother some. I am always too cautious, but I haven't lost one yet.

lol it may be out of my hands. When I got home last night the chicks were in the grow out pin ouside :)

so far soo good I guess.

Shot a quick video of the chicks outside in the grow out pin/tractor. By the way if you are after a simple movable tractor set up I highly recommend this cattle panel style.

Back
Top Bottom