Our poor ducks :(

bossynbella

Songster
12 Years
Aug 11, 2007
Iowa
Last spring a lady gave us a bunch of banty chickens and three small ducks. The two hens where 5-6yrs old and the drake 2-3.
They stayed with our chickens most the time. In July we bought two young (under a yr) Indian Runner ducks a drake and hen. At first they all go along well then Donald (the Runner ) started chasing Joseph and trying to get Lilly and Milly to come to him.

Sadly last weekend we backed over Milly, and Joe and Lilly moped. Donald started harrasing them even more and was chasing them out of the pen at night.

On Thursday Joseph came waddling down the hill alone when I went out to let the other chickens out.

We don't know what happened to Lilly. We close Joe in the coop at night now so Donald can't bother him.

Will he be okay without a mate till spring?
Does anyone know where we can find another small duck like these?

allflockingtogether.jpg

Joe is all the way to the side. you can see how small they are in comparison to the silkys

Bantam ducks are pretty widely available... but that one on the furthest right almost looks like a Call duck (which is a very small standard breed).

I'm not sure how to answer your other questions; except ducks are flock animals and seem to do better together. Could the harassing just be the mating season coming in?

Yes we where told they where call ducks
Have been looking for more for a long time. Anyone know of any around Eastern Iowa?? or hatcherys that sell them???

Now Donald (the runner Drake) has dissapeared and Joseph and Daisy hang out together I guess it worked out though we are very sad to have gone from 5 to 2 ducks in only a month.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom