Outdoor Temperatures for Silkies please...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by bargain, Feb 3, 2011.

1. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    I have 8 silkies now fully feathered and roughly 2 months old. What is the lowest temperature that they can tolerate. I'mthinking I may need to add a heat lamp over them, which I don't mind....They are now in a brooder and I will now move to pens off the ground... Thanks.

2. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    Fully feathered silkies in good health, much like most other fully feathered chickens in good health, can withstand temperatures well below zero. The only thing "special" about their needs in cold weather is that they are less hardy to drafts and winds than are "regular" chickens as their feathers can be blown open more easily. As long as they are provided with draft/wind breaks they are just fine.

That said, depending on how warm you are currently keeping their brooder you will want to slowly wean them down to the cooler temperature.

3. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I respectfully disagree that they can tolerate temps down to zero. They may have feathers but they don't have much body mass to generate heat. I believe they need a heat source.

Edited to add: My comments are for 2 month old silkies that the OP is discussing. Grown birds are another matter completely.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  4. Doug the Chicken Man

Doug the Chicken Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Near Ottawa, Ontario
    My silkies have no problem at -20C to - 30C.
    They are the first out in the morning and the last to go in.
    If it is windy they stay in but other than that they are always out.
    We had them locked up with the storm that came through here yesterday.
    A foot of snow in thier run and this morning they were as normal the first out.

5. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    My Silkies are just fine in a barn at -30, they also come outside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by