Outdoor Temperatures for Silkies please...

bargain

Love God, Hubby & farm
11 Years
Apr 13, 2008
Bowdon, GA
I have 8 silkies now fully feathered and roughly 2 months old. What is the lowest temperature that they can tolerate. I'mthinking I may need to add a heat lamp over them, which I don't mind....They are now in a brooder and I will now move to pens off the ground... Thanks.

Fully feathered silkies in good health, much like most other fully feathered chickens in good health, can withstand temperatures well below zero. The only thing "special" about their needs in cold weather is that they are less hardy to drafts and winds than are "regular" chickens as their feathers can be blown open more easily. As long as they are provided with draft/wind breaks they are just fine.

That said, depending on how warm you are currently keeping their brooder you will want to slowly wean them down to the cooler temperature.

I respectfully disagree that they can tolerate temps down to zero. They may have feathers but they don't have much body mass to generate heat. I believe they need a heat source.

Edited to add: My comments are for 2 month old silkies that the OP is discussing. Grown birds are another matter completely.

Last edited:
My silkies have no problem at -20C to - 30C.
They are the first out in the morning and the last to go in.
If it is windy they stay in but other than that they are always out.
We had them locked up with the storm that came through here yesterday.
A foot of snow in thier run and this morning they were as normal the first out.

Si
I respectfully disagree that they can tolerate temps down to zero. They may have feathers but they don't have much body mass to generate heat. I believe they need a heat source.

Edited to add: My comments are for 2 month old silkies that the OP is discussing. Grown birds are another matter completely.
Silkies acclimate to cold weather much better than hot weather. They come from the cold regions of China originally, and ha e a core body temp of 105-107 . My silkies are outside running around in the snow in below zero temps all the time! They brood year round also. And babies will be out chasing mama in below freezing temp! Heat is a different story. They dust bathe more often in hotter temps. To help cool themselves. I keep a small plastic pool with about a inch or so of cool water, they love to walk or stand in it. Cooling their feet and legs helps to cool them off also!

I think it’s great that one person took the time to read your post and provide an answer. Everyone else must just like to hear themselves talk. This seems to be an accurate representation of society today….me me me.

I think it’s great that one person took the time to read your post and provide an answer. Everyone else must just like to hear themselves talk. This seems to be an accurate representation of society today….me me me.
Thank you for showing interest in this thread, but it's from 2011, my friend, you aren't likely to receive a reply from the op.

Back
Top Bottom