OVER THE COUNTER MEDICATIONS (OTC) IMPACTED BY NEW FDA PRESCRIPTION REQUIREMENTS INITIATIVE

Oh, I got it right off.....nothing I haven't wondered about before and having worked for years in vets' offices even before I had chickens I wondered about it way back then. Three different veterinarians and not one of them ever wanted to work on birds. <Sigh>
I also worked in a veterinarian office, and even if a vet sees birds it depends on if they're in the mood to see your bird. So, you have to be careful to call on the right day.

I looked at the government website of what drugs are affected and didn't see amoxicillin listed, or did I miss it? If it's not listed does that mean that one can still be purchased?

Last edited:
Nope. This is not targeting poultry. The initiative is for vet med - food and water additives - for antibiotics also used for humans. The medications will require RX to purchase and no longer be available over the counter in feed stores or retailed online and the like. Injectables are not included - yet.
Thanks for the clarification.

I looked at the government website of what drugs are affected and didn't see amoxicillin listed, or did I miss it?  If it's not listed does that mean that one can still be purchased?

The only form of OTC amoxicillin that I've seen is the tropical fish stuff, so it's probably not on the list.

-Kathy

I looked at the government website of what drugs are affected and didn't see amoxicillin listed, or did I miss it? If it's not listed does that mean that one can still be purchased?
It's penicillin. I've asked about the fishmox in particular and have to say I've checked out a couple sites and one did have RX required. Something new as less than 2 weeks ago friend ordered it from that site. Some companies are just discontinuing product - like Tylan powder. So Bottom line - I'm waiting for response.

Back
Top Bottom