OVER THE COUNTER MEDICATIONS (OTC) IMPACTED BY NEW FDA PRESCRIPTION REQUIREMENTS INITIATIVE

As far as expiration dates, there is supposed to have been a confidential study done by the military to find out what the REAL shelf life of medications are. There was a nurse who leaked some of the info found - so yes, part of expiration dates is a gimmick to move more product.

Much like the old "yearly vaccines" scam in adult dogs. Many of the common vaccinations last several years, or even provided lifetime immunity in adult dogs but the manufacturers would only get FDA approval for one year so they could claim the immunity "expired" after that time.

That forced dog owners to give annual booster shots if they boarded and had to show up to date vaccine records. In the case of cat owners it could have fatal consequences as some cats develop a lethal form of cancer from multiple vaccine injections.

Last edited:

Great article, Kathy, thanks!

We don't use hormones on our cattle, for numerous reasons... Well, if you know me...lol you know why ;)

It's about the "Benjamin's"... Money, profit, get them fat in the feedlot and hormones increase muscle mass without letting the carcass get toouch fat. Keeps them lean. The dairy, well, if you remember back oh... 10 years or so ago? (Myemory not the best) that there was a big to-do over it being in the milk. It still is. :(

Chickens just have no use for it. By the time a meat bird would get the horomone treatment (and it takes a while to build up) they are already at slaughter age. They just don't live long enough.

Cattle on the other hand, spend at least 3 months in the feedlot after weaning, so big ag seems to think that they need help reaching weight so they can be moved out to make room for more.

Butvuts not in the feed, @Free Spirit, those are injected. Meat birds are notorious for poor survival based on the breeds used to create them.

Odd. How man needs to inject corn with a toxin to " improve" it, man needs to inject a steer with hormones to "improve" it, and man has to breed Frankenstein chickens to "improve" them... Wonder when we humans are ever going to "improve" to the point where we quit messing things up that were perfect to begin with in order to fill out guts with synthetic food? :p

Sorry, had to vent it ;)

I'm pretty sure that my doberman died early because of yearly vaccinations, (and pet food, of course, cannot prove it). Every year after vaccinations she developed swelling at the site of the vaccination. Eventually she started to have trouble walking, and later I took her to the vet to find out about her debilitation. Upon his examination he thought it was a lesion in her spine, approximately at the site of her injections. After reading up on the effects of over use of vaccinations, that is my conclusion of what caused her to be crippled. Years ago I question a vet. as to why dogs require yearly vaccinations when people do not. She really could not give an answer.

Eventually she started to have trouble walking, and later I took her to the vet to find out about her debilitation. Upon his examination he thought it was a lesion in her spine, approximately at the site of her injections.

OT but it was almost certainly Wobblers Syndrome, up to 5% of Dobermans will develop it. It leads to a compression of the spinal cord in the neck resulting in wobbly back legs and can progress to paralysis. I used to show and rescue Dobes and it was a well known concern. http://vet.osu.edu/wobbler-syndrome

Last edited:
OT but it was almost certainly Wobblers Syndrome, up to 5% of Dobermans will develop it. It leads to a compression of the spinal cord in the neck resulting in wobbly back legs and can progress to paralysis. I used to show and rescue Dobes and it was a well known concern. http://vet.osu.edu/wobbler-syndrome
Hadn't heard of Wobblers Syndrome before. The description matched my doberman's problem, when she was alive. Thanks for posting the link, it's good information.

I still believe that yearly vaccines are a scam, and that pet food is contaminated with diseased animals.

Back to the main subject; and excuse me but I haven't read the government pages yet of antibiotics that will be affected, but isn't this legislation for poultry meds. only and fish, sheep, etc. antibiotics will still be able to be purchased OTC, and I should add to only be used when absolutely necessary?

Hadn't heard of Wobblers Syndrome before.  The description matched my doberman's problem, when she was alive.  Thanks for posting the link, it's good information.  

I still believe that yearly vaccines are a scam, and that pet food is contaminated with diseased animals.

In pets, I would be forced to agree with you,..with exception ;)

I don't immunize anything except m kids and pets. Pets, we are talking cat and dog. Calves get 2 immunizations to prevent certain high mortality bovine pathogens. The dogs get a parvo and rabies vaccination, and cats get distemper and FIV. My kids are completely immunized, due to my doctor being a more insufferable debator than I ;)

I do those because if my area. Parvo, rabies, FIV, and the 2 bovine ones are for scours and Bangs (brucellosis). I have no need to immunize against anything else that my livestock wouldn't automatically get from antibodies in utero and during the first couple weeks of life, from mom.

I agree that SOME vaccines are scams, but we do still need some if them, to keep these pathogens in check. A good example; polio.

Polio would not have been defeated if we hadn't immunized, if course, it also still needs to be done, because NOW we can't pass on antibodies to our children, because we've never had it. So, immunization essential there or we will face a new mutated form of polio.

But you won't get me near thise stupid flu shots lol... There's a scam if I've ever seen one :p

Last edited:
Here's why I don't do antibiotics.
http://chriskresser.com/the-high-price-of-antibiotic-use-can-our-guts-ever-fully-recover/

I ferment. I treasure all those magical microbes that protect me and help me from the soil up. I don't kill them, I grow more! :D

Ever notice how yucky you feel after a round of antibiotics? Sluggish system, stomach aches, constipation... Sorry about the details lol :p

It's the antibiotics. They are great at killing pathogens and infection. Also great at killing your immune system and microbes because it has NO idea who the bad guys and good guys are. That's why we dose up on probiotics, AKA Bacillus MICROBES to replenish our gut flora.

Oh boy lol, don't get me started on how IMPORTANT those microbes are!!! They're why I have gotten away with an entire lifetime of birds and cattle with NO worry about worms lol :D

Microbes!!!.. stop the useless slaughter of trillions if innocent and beneficial microbes!!!!

:p ;)

Edit to add BENEFICIAL to MICROBES :D

Last edited:

Eventually she started to have trouble walking, and later I took her to the vet to find out about her debilitation. Upon his examination he thought it was a lesion in her spine, approximately at the site of her injections. 

Sounds a lot like wobblers syndrome in horses. Thanks for the link!

-Kathy

Here's why I don't do antibiotics.
http://chriskresser.com/the-high-price-of-antibiotic-use-can-our-guts-ever-fully-recover/

I ferment. I treasure all those magical microbes that protect me and help me from the soil up. I don't kill them, I grow more!
big_smile.png

Ever notice how yucky you feel after a round of antibiotics? Sluggish system, stomach aches, constipation... Sorry about the details lol
tongue.png

It's the antibiotics. They are great at killing pathogens and infection. Also great at killing your immune system and microbes because it has NO idea who the bad guys and good guys are. That's why we dose up on probiotics, AKA Bacillus MICROBES to replenish our gut flora.

Oh boy lol, don't get me started on how IMPORTANT those microbes are!!! They're why I have gotten away with an entire lifetime of birds and cattle with NO worry about worms lol
big_smile.png

Microbes!!!.. stop the useless slaughter of trillions if innocent and beneficial microbes!!!!

tongue.png
wink.png

Edit to add BENEFICIAL to MICROBES
big_smile.png
I agree 100% about the microbes. I think antibiotics are being used ignorantly and is especially damaging being used as a preventative of disease by some flock owners. Hopefully, this new legislation will force veterinarians to become educated and care more about treating poultry.

Back
Top Bottom