OVER THE COUNTER MEDICATIONS (OTC) IMPACTED BY NEW FDA PRESCRIPTION REQUIREMENTS INITIATIVE

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by EdenCamp, Oct 24, 2015.

1. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  2. Free Spirit

Free Spirit The Chiarian

Oct 21, 2015
    NWA
    You're not wrong. That's why I was very surprised when she told me that. As far as I knew it hasn't been used and has been discontinued for decades. Makes me wonder what the "real" truth is. Perhaps she was mistaken when she told me that.

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

I know very little about what drugs they use in food animals.

-Kathy

4. Free Spirit

Free Spirit The Chiarian

Oct 21, 2015
    NWA
  5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  6. Free Spirit

Free Spirit The Chiarian

Oct 21, 2015
    NWA
  7. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado

Actually Kathy, growth hormones and steroid use us alarmingly prevalent in the beef industry... NOT ME!!!! :p

But beef for SURE use steroids, not only legally, but the dairy industry almost went down the tubes because if it.

I'd post links, but at the moment, hands full with ornery kids ;)

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

No worries... The two links I posted explain the use of them in the beef industry.

-Kathy

9. Free Spirit

Free Spirit The Chiarian

Oct 21, 2015
    NWA
    Thank you for the links. It has been very informative. After reading them I got to thinking. Since she ran both chickens and cattle that perhaps when we were talking about the chickens and feed that she may have mixed the two up (innocent mistake if that's what happened as she was getting ready to feed cows after our conversation). If that were the case then I have been unfortunately misinformed all these years [​IMG]. At least I got it straight now.[​IMG]

So glad I wrote that post and got your replies. Else I would have still been believing that there were steroids in chicken feed. Better to be corrected then continuing to believe something false.

Thanks again,

Free Spirit

10. Sonya9

Sonya9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2014
    Jones County, Georgia
    Meat birds are not bred to live to adulthood, they are bred to reach adult weight in 2-3 months. Even if the chick had been on an organic diet from day one he/she still would have grown freakishly fast and likely died within a few months. Their muscles grow to the extent that the bird can't move around and can even get gangrene in the muscle tissue. The farmer lady should have told you that when she let you keep the bird.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by