Oyster shell question...

Homesteadin

Chirping
Mar 16, 2015
Hi All. The only oyster shell my ducks will eat is the kind in the link below; they refuse to eat the usual "granules" you can find anywhere else for cheap. But at $9 per 4lbs it is not cost-effective for us to keep buying it from scratch and peck. I have not had luck in finding this type of oyster shell anywhere else. Does anyone know of anywhere else I can find it?

https://www.scratchandpeck.com/shop/oyster-shell/

Bar Ale sells similarly sized chunks for about $10 per 50# bag. Unfortunately Bar Ale only sells on the west coast, so it may not be available where you live.

I checked and their product isn't available anywhere near me. Bummer!

Hi All. The only oyster shell my ducks will eat is the kind in the link below; they refuse to eat the usual "granules" you can find anywhere else for cheap. But at $9 per 4lbs it is not cost-effective for us to keep buying it from scratch and peck. I have not had luck in finding this type of oyster shell anywhere else. Does anyone know of anywhere else I can find it?

https://www.scratchandpeck.com/shop/oyster-shell/

You might not have to provide oyster shell if you give them layer feed. Of course, the males won't need that, but the layer feed is at least another option.

You might not have to provide oyster shell if you give them layer feed.  Of course, the males won't need that, but the layer feed is at least another option.

I've been avoiding layer feed because we have a drake and from what I understand it could make him sick if he eats too much calcium.

I've been avoiding layer feed because we have a drake and from what I understand it could make him sick if he eats too much calcium.
I've also read that excess calcium could be harmful to drakes and other non-layers, which is why I feed my drakes, ducks, and chickens fermented chick starter and free feed oyster shell. I also offer free choice grit. I do, however, occasionally see drakes eating the oyster shell, even though the grit is right by it.
1f914.png

Do you have a Tractor Supply or Rural King near you? 50# bags run about $10 where I am.

I've also read that excess calcium could be harmful to drakes and other non-layers, which is why I feed my drakes, ducks, and chickens fermented chick starter and free feed oyster shell. I also offer free choice grit. I do, however, occasionally see drakes eating the oyster shell, even though the grit is right by it.
1f914.png

Do you have a Tractor Supply or Rural King near you? 50# bags run about $10 where I am.

We ferment, too. :) I can get regular oyster shell for cheap plenty of places. My problem is that my ducks won't touch it unless it is just like the kind in the link I posted when starting this thread, and I haven't been able to find oyster shell like that anywhere else and for less $$$

Last edited:
Thanks for pointing out in a nice way that I didn't actually answer the question you asked...my bad.
1f62c.png
Unfortunately, all I've seen in feed stores in my neck of the woods is the standard oyster shell. Hope you can find the kind you're looking for at a better price!

I was reminded that one of the choices for extra calcium was the oyster or else, also crushed egg shells. Perhaps they can be crushed to have a similar appearance to the oyster product your ducks are used to.

You may not eat enough eggs to feed them on a regular basis but keep in mind, there are trace elements of calcium in many things that the ducks eat. You can also ask friends and family to save some egg shells, especially if they eat eggs daily as a breakfast item.

The egg contents can also be cooked and fed to them, though because of the fat content of eggs, that should be more of a treat than a daily feed for calcium.

I was reminded that one of the choices for extra calcium was the oyster or else, also crushed egg shells.  Perhaps they can be crushed to have a similar appearance to the oyster product your ducks are used to.

You may not eat enough eggs to feed them on a regular basis but keep in mind, there are trace elements of calcium in many things that the ducks eat.  You can also ask friends and family to save some egg shells, especially if they eat eggs daily as a breakfast item.

The egg contents can also be cooked and fed to them, though because of the fat content of eggs, that should be more of a treat than a daily feed for calcium.

Yes we actually do that, too, and they love it. I am wondering if that's why they don't like the normal oyster shell "granules" -- they prefer the flakes. We are just running in to not having quite enough egg shells to supplement them as much as they need to lay regularly (at least, I think that is the issue).

Back
Top Bottom