Oyster Shells

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Southern28Chick, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    I can not find oyster shells locally. Does anyone here buy them online? Mypetchicken.com charges almost $20 shipping for 5 pounds!!!

2. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

I thought you were supposed to be making soap. Didn't Lloyd ever show up today?

3. salathiel

salathiel Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2007
    The problem with buying anything like feed, grit, oystershell, etc. online is the huge cost of shipping such heavy things. Surely there must be a feed store, Tractor Supply or the like somewhere in your area. It would be worth a 30 or 40 mile trip to avoid those shipping costs!

4. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    These are TSC stores in NC. Are any of them close enough to you?

NORTH CAROLINA
    ALBEMARLE, ASHEBORO, ASHEVILLE SOUTH, BURLINGTON, CLEMMONS, CLINTON, CONCORD, ELKIN, FAYETTEVILLE WEST, FUQUAY-VARINA, GOLDSBORO, GREENVILLE, HENDERSON, KNIGHTDALE, LENOIR, MONROE, MOUNT AIRY, NEWTON, OAK RIDGE, ROCKY MOUNT, RURAL HALL, SALISBURY, SELMA, SHELBY, SPINDALE, STATESVILLE, WEAVERVILLE, WHITEVILLE

Jean

5. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    Hey Trisha, they sell them at Tramway Feed Store on Hwy. 78 here in Sanford. I don't know how much they are or how big of a bag it is but I will call tomorrow and ask and let you know.
    Laura

6. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    Quote:Thanks! I'm going to Henderson next weekend to visit the in laws.

7. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    call them first and make sure they have it in store, ours sometimes does, and sometimes doesn't but if you askthey cn get it from wareouse or another store if you give them enough time.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

There is another alternative. One of the local feedstores carries a product called TuffShell. It's limestone calcium and it looks like fine granite grit. The dumb owner even puts it in ziplocks and sells it labeled "GRIT". [​IMG]

9. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    Southern

Yes, do call them to make sure they have it in stock like mdbucks suggested.
    They can have it by the time you get there if they don't have it right now.

Jean

10. Shrader

Shrader Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by