PA Farm Show disappointment

suenotto

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 27, 2010
Limeport
I went to the PA farm show yesterday. It started last weekend. I was really excited to see the birds in particular.

What I found there was cage after cage of sick looking birds. The ducks in particular looked horrible. Dirty, all with swollen, scabby eyes, I have seen pictures of this condition in Holderreads' indicating dirty, insufficient water. Anyone here show ducks at farm shows? I can't imagine that this is normal for farm shows, and if it is why would people enter their birds? Are the owners responsible for cleaning the cages and feeding, etc? or are there helpers there that are supposed to be keeping the cages clean and stocked?

To see the birds in this condition was really distressing to me.

I would imagine that the owners are responsible for the care of the birds.
I, for one, don't think I could leave my birds sitting in cages at a show for that long. NOT JUDGING anyone that does, I just couldn't do it.
I'm sure they haven't had access to swimming water since being put in the show which is why they look dirty.
Poor duckies.
sad.png

I know what I'd be doing-I'd be up there with my watering can and a big bag of feed.

That could be caused by several things-all upper respiratory.
Poor ducks-I guess some folks don't even think about the fact that ducks HAVE to have water to keep their sinuses clean. Ducks are so prone to upper respiratory stuff and are at the mercy of someone caring enough to make sure they have water clean and deep enough for their needs.
Makes me sad for them.

Back
Top Bottom