Paint and Barring on a chick? (With pictures!)

msiler

Songster
Nov 26, 2018
New baby hatched today!
C6771C4A-B225-47A8-9597-B32D097C7845.jpeg

Besides being adorable, I have no idea who the parents are!
This spot pictured is the most notable black spot, though it does have a couple smaller ones on its back. I raise Paint Silkies and this sure looks like a Paint!

Dad is very likely a Barred Rock rooster. No feathered feet so the only other option would be a White Laced Red Cornish but he is not the dominant roo and all the other babies we have hatched from these eggs have been barred.

If this chick is truly Paint (has one copy of dominant white), then this would mean I believe that the mom would have to be the carrier. I have two white hens:
White Rock
Delaware

So question 1, who are the parents??

Question 2, if the dad is the barred rock, can Dominant white and Barring both play a part of the phenotype, making this chick’s adult plumage white with barred black spots?

I
New baby hatched today!
View attachment 2750157

This spot pictured is the most notable black spot, though it does have a couple smaller ones on its back. I raise Paint Silkies and this sure looks like a Paint!

Dad is very likely a Barred Rock rooster. No feathered feet so the only other option would be a White Laced Red Cornish but he is not the dominant roo and all the other babies we have hatched from these eggs have been barred.

If this chick is truly Paint (has one copy of dominant white), then this would mean I believe that the mom would have to be the carrier. I have two white hens:
White Rock
Delaware

Question 2, if the dad is the barred rock, can Dominant white and Barring both play a part of the phenotype, making this chick’s adult plumage white with barred black spots?
I’ve seen splash bared birds

New baby hatched today!
View attachment 2750157

White Rock
Delaware

Yes, if the father is the barred rock, the chick will be white with black barred spots.
Delawares have silver, not dominant white, so the white rock is likely the mother. However, it’s also possible the cornish is the father instead of the BR, since white laced red cornish have dominant white too.

Thank you everyone!! I will post updates as the chick grows. We did have two chicks that are an orangey color that just hatched and are smaller than our other standard chicks, so I’m assuming that the Cornish the father of them!

Back
Top Bottom