panting chick with drooping wings. not responding to touch

edgidoe

In the Brooder
Oct 1, 2020
we got some week old chicks 3 weeks ago. we tried to foster them to our then broody hen but she didn't take them so they have been isolated in a dog cage since. they've only ever been out in the yard twice. we've been pretty careful about not touching them after handling our older hens. today my mom noticed one of them is breathing really heavy and her wings droop when she walks. she mostly just sits and her friend stands over her. when i picked her up she didn't respond she doesn't move a lot when i poke her. we had a hen die 2 weeks ago. we thought she was egg bound. could this be avian flu or something else?

What do you feed, what is the bedding and temperature,
we weren't sure if they were vaccinated so were feeding them Purina medicated start and grow. they've been kept on puppy training pads. they were outside most of today and its been 65f

we weren't sure if they were vaccinated so were feeding them Purina medicated start and grow. they've been kept on puppy training pads. they were outside most of today and its been 65f
That is way too cold for chicks that young. Do they have feathers yet? They shouldn't be fully feathered until around 4 weeks. They can not regulate their own body temperature until they are fully feathered out.

That is way too cold for chicks that young. Do they have feathers yet? They shouldn't be fully feathered until around 4 weeks. They can not regulate their own body temperature until they are fully feathered out.
they are about 4 weeks old . we got them as week old chicks april 23rd

we got some week old chicks 3 weeks ago. we tried to foster them to our then broody hen but she didn't take them so they have been isolated in a dog cage since. they've only ever been out in the yard twice. we've been pretty careful about not touching them after handling our older hens. today my mom noticed one of them is breathing really heavy and her wings droop when she walks. she mostly just sits and her friend stands over her. when i picked her up she didn't respond she doesn't move a lot when i poke her. we had a hen die 2 weeks ago. we thought she was egg bound. could this be avian flu or something else?
Can you please post some photos of the chick and her poop?

Do you have any Corid? I would be inclined to treat for Coccidiosis. Dose for Liquid Corid is 2 tsp or Powdered Corid is 1 1/2 tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.

Can you please post some photos of the chick and her poop?

Do you have any Corid? I would be inclined to treat for Coccidiosis. Dose for Liquid Corid is 2 tsp or Powdered Corid is 1 1/2 tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
we dont have corid but its available at our farm store so well pick it up in the morning. right now im adding electrolytes to the water and i heard adding a drop of honey can perk chicks up so im trying that

Attachments

• pepper.jpg
    pepper.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 2
we dont have corid but its available at our farm store so well pick it up in the morning. right now im adding electrolytes to the water and i heard adding a drop of honey can perk chicks up so im trying that
This is definitely too young to be outside in 65° weather.

Back
Top Bottom