1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Part timer...pet sitting and dog walking.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Southern28Chick, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    So, I'm thinking about putting out fliers around my town stating that I'm a pet/livestock sitter and dog walker. I need something to do and a little extra cash never hurts. There are tons of folks around where I live that have livestock and probably need someone to care for them when they go out of town. And I can walk dogs for people who work full time and for old folks that can't get out much.

I have no clue what to charge. If I walked someone's dog once a day...$5 a day?

Please only respond if you have something helpful to say, no smart comments.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2008
  2. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    For a midafternoon walk, yah, Id say $5. For overnight care at someones home, where you stop by 3x daily, up here in CT, they get about $25 a day.

3. LittleChickenRacingTeam

LittleChickenRacingTeam On vacation

Jan 11, 2007
    Ontario, CANADA
  4. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    If I walked someone's dog once a day...$5 a day?

Trisha, that would not even pay for your gas much less your time and your time is valuble. I say charge more.

5. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    I've been looking at real pet sitting and dog walking companies in Raleigh and they charge $15 a day! I'm not going that high, maybe $10. They're bonded and insured, I won't be. I'm not going to do it outside of my town either.

Hey think of all the exercise!

6. Rosalind

Rosalind Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Way more than that. Well, if you could walk a whole bunch of dogs at once, and they were all giving you $5?

You would want a whole lot more than $5 to walk a rambunctious working dog, I guarantee it. They will dislocate your elbows and shoulders if they are not well trained, and many aren't. Heck, even the ones that are well trained but nervous around strangers, or not bred for temperament and thus anxious/stressed, or dogs that have dominance issues, are all worth more than $5 to walk.

I would say more like $15/day to walk with a stop to drink water. And if I could make $100,000/year doing it, I still would not, because I am not Cesar Millan. My dog, a 6-month-old Pyrenees, managed to break my foot in one moment of exuberant squirrel-chasing while on a leash I wasn't quick enough to drop. My aunt's Newfie has dislocated her elbow twice and her shoulder once, from her trying to hold it away from a dogfight with the neighbor's dog.

Around here, dogs get ticks like mad, so after every walk there is the Tick Removal Ritual, which consists of me praying to the Wolf Gods that I don't get nipped this time, a ceremonial chant over a fresh bone to mesmerize the dog into a state of deep meditation, then swift exorcism of the demonic tick by The Holy Tweezers Of Doom. Would you do that part too? I think I'd pay $50/walk to do the tick removal...

7. adoptedbyachicken

adoptedbyachicken Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Yeesh, get your dog some flea and tick soap Rosalind, prevention is way easier.

Hey tere is an idea Trishia, make some flea and tick soap and offer to bath the dogs too. Have you seen this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/DAWG-ISLAND-All...hZ019QQcategoryZ46306QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

I too think that $5 is way too cheep. When working with other peoples horses I figure it out at $25 an hour so it's worth my time. So if I have to travel they are paying my travel time, for me that is easier than calculating the costs, and if they bring the horse to me they get more time. Hope that helps.

8. Rosalind

Rosalind Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    get your dog some flea and tick soap Rosalind, prevention is way easier.

I did. That's why there's only one or two ticks.

Back on topic--yes, all-natural flea and tick stuff would be nice. As would grooming services. They drop doggie off, you wash doggie and walk him, doggie returns ready to nap and smelling daisy-fresh, yes, I would pay big bucks for such a service.​

9. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    I think $5 is too cheap. I'd go atleast $10 with maybe a special rate for repeat customers who do a daily request schedule.

Julie [​IMG]

10. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    Quote:I am working on a doggie shampoo bar with citronella and cedar essential oils. Cedar repels fleas. I never thought about offering the service of washing the dog though. HUMMMM. This could be fun. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by