Partridge Orpington Genetic Colour Questions

I might be wrong, but I did a cross between a Barnevelder double laced and Partridge orpington, both are Id/Id with the Barnevelder having yellow legs and the orpington light, all the chicks had black legs even though they should be Id/Id, only thing that changed was the Ml of the barnevelder was added to the mix.

It also aligns with the chicken calculator, if you select a multiple laced partridge orpington and add Ml, the shank colour changes to dark in the same manner I experienced it practical.

Is there anything else that can cause the darker shanks in a cross like that?

I am pretty sure It is not id+ that is causing this dark shanks in my hens, since id+ is sex linked, and only some of the breeding hens have dark shanks, my rooster has light shanks, yet some of both the male and female chicks have dark shanks, a hen with id+ can only give that gene to male chicks. That is if my referral to it being sexed linked is correct.

If not Ml, what else can cause this dark colour?

I understand what you say though, since my gold laced orpingtons have light shanks and are Ml/Ml....which basically contradict my other argument.

Last edited:
I might be wrong, but I did a cross between a Barnevelder double laced and Partridge orpington, both are Id/Id with the Barnevelder having yellow legs and the orpington light, all the chicks had black legs even though they should be Id/Id, only thing that changed was the Ml of the barnevelder was added to the mix.
and why Ml is not turning the Barnevelder's shank into dark colored shanks?

Not sure, you are most probably right, as I said my gold laced orps have light legs and are Ml...

What else can cause this dark legs in the barnevelder cross?

It can then however be that the hen in the first picture with the dark saddle and light legs carry Ml?

Last edited:
Something is weird yes, a sebright gold laced has slate blue legs on E^R, a gold laced orpington (laced tail) should also be E^R yet they have white legs, but sebrights dont have Id, therefore I can only assume that Id is at work in the Gold Laced Orpington and effective in E^R.

So...something else is causing Id to have less effect on some of my partridge orpingtons with dark legs.

One other possibility, what colour would the legs of an Id/id+ partridge orp rooster be? I know Id/Id is light, id+/id+ is dark, but if Id/id+ is light then perhaps my rooster is Id/id+, therefore male and female chicks can have dark legs because id is sex linked. This will explain the barnevelder cross having dark legs as well....think I should go and have a look at the sole of the hens with dark feet, if the sole is dark then this theory is probably right....

Thanks for helping me figure it out....I am sure we will get it eventually

Barnevelder hen:

Partridge hen with black legs:

Barnevelder X partridge Orpington

Young partridge cock with dark legs, probably one copy of Co too explaining the reddish breast.

What do you think, id+ or Id?

Last edited:
All of the pictures of the soles indicate to me that they are light soles, my understanding is that id+ will make the soles slate, so these should be Id.

What else can cause this slate colour? I know Id has little effect on E and a couple of generations back a black was used, but surely an E/e^b will be black with only little leakage, therefore these must be e^b/e^b.

Back
Top Bottom