Partridge Rock Progress pics

walkswithdog

Crowing
15 Years
Jul 17, 2008
DC Region
Here's the rooster boys at around 11 weeks.
13263_george_what.jpg

That's George - largest black brown male

13263_tokhis_side.jpg

Tokhis - also black brown, smaller

13263_sparrow1.jpg

Sparrow Largest Red Brown Male

13263_tokhis1.jpg

Another of Tokhis

Those are my three guys. Sparrow and George lost a huge amount of back feather to the mean BA pullet.

The pullets are all showing great penciling.

These guys are maturing really fast, with Tokhis being the slowest in growth and feathering of those that made the cut.

I find the changes the Partridges go through in feathering really interesting. As well as the differences that translated from the obvious differences in batch color.

When I had such distinct groups in baby fuzz colors I am finding the outcome is just as distinct. I'll be able to sort even fuzzies better on the next go round.

All in all the smallest darkest black browns didn't grow quickly or feather quickly, and the males even slower than the females.

Since this is about dual purpose I am going to have to sort for faster growth and feathering then shape and coloring.

I weighed them early often, and at this last cull. Letting go of the smallest pullets and one middle sized leggy cockeral who was narrow bodied, and the smallest cockeral, Runs Like Nutcase.

I also culled shy and mean birds. I also lost six to hawks and one a dog. Ending up with 14 Partridge Rocks and my older BA pullets.

So my first culls are done and then next thing is more good blood, and seeing what these produce.

Only two of the remaining pullets are of the red gold fuzzy group, so I should be getting a majority of the middle black browns as a result next spring.

Patience so sucks. Still I have contacts for some SQ PRs and good Delawares. Also considering an order from Sandhill to see what they have.

Hugs to anyone who managed to finish this post LOL

I like George and Tokhis best, though, I am not any kind of expert on Partridge Rock coloring. Who has the best comb, five clearly defined points is the standard for that. should also come into play, but body type first, comb second, coloring third. Cant see the combs in the pictures.
You know you have dibs on a Delaware cockerel from me and I'll be hatching some next month.

YAY DELAWARE COCKERAL!

Then I think George has the best comb of the three. I'll take closeups. He's also got a good body shape. GI wish the B...... bird hadn't yanked all his back feathers.

I'm really looking forward to pulling in some Dels for size and faster growth.

The lacing and penciling in the feathers of the red gold group are kind of spotty but they'll not moult out for awhile yet.

Ah you are making me
droolin.gif

I have an order in for some and should get them by end of February. I have a long way to go for picking who stays and who goes to the pot. LOLOL

I was much happier with this second group of PRs from a different hatchery - WELP, they get full points for their first try.
smile.png

I've some calls and emails in for show stock and heritage stock but we'll see what they're willing to part with come next year.

In the interim I build on what I have and what I can add in like the delightful del cockeral Cyn is reserving for me. When in doubt, add back in what started em and move on. Lots more culling but progress even when show Q isn't available.

Still want silkie pullets for broodies so I'm not totally dependent on PRs and my incubation skills. I'm looking at the Crossville sale this weekend.

I put my order in with Superior Farms, so I am hoping that they are closer to the standard than other hatchery birds. Danny the poultry manager assured me that their color and build were amazing. Hope so. I have an entire new flock coming from them that include the Partridge Rocks. Can't wait!

Oh TERRIFIC - let me know how they start out and turn out and LOTS of fuzzy pics for comparison. I'm going to get PR chicks from two sources this year, Sandhill and hopefully a heritage farm and BRs from Cyn here on BYC. I have one of hers already and she's a total keeper.

And I'm going to work in a good Delaware. I am also bringing in a few older show birds if I can get them here. I may do dorkings as part of my last hatch for 2009. They've been used as composite birds to make PR's so if I can get good ones, with a lot of culling for oddness we should progress.

One hatch at a time better...

Back
Top Bottom