Partridge Rock Thread

Pics
Hate to tell you but you paid too much for hatchery birds. Those are not breeder stock. We have alot of people that buy from the hatcheirs and then resell them to other on CL and flea markets. I am the only one in the state that is breeding PR. I have sold to a few but not to those breeding as it has been pullets only.
Around here sexed 7 week old chickens from Hatcheries sell for $15.00 each. One cannot make money buying from a hatchery and raising them for 7 weeks and selling them for 7 dollars each.

All the Brooding work has been done. A lot of people are not willing to Brood chicks and will pay extra for chickens that can go outside.

You may be the only breeder in tn on backyard chickens but im sure there's several more. $7 for a started bird is a steal. If your birds satisfy you it makes no difference where they come from.

you may be right about where he obtained them but that doesnt bother me at all..im sure he probably paid  2 to 3 dollars for each and fed them starter/grower for 7 weeks (we all know that is not cheap) so im pretty sure he had more than $7 in each of them.. they are healthy beautiful birds that i hope will bring me several years of eggs and enjoyment and im sure i will raise a few out of them so in my eyes im thinking i got a pretty good deal

You may be the only breeder in tn on backyard chickens but im sure there's several more. $7 for a started bird is a steal. If your birds satisfy you it makes no difference where they come from.
I totally agree !!
thumbsup.gif

I am the only breeder of Partridge rocks in TN. There is a reson it is very rare to find breeders of them. They are not easy to breed do to pattern. Lots of Barred rocks here and even some blacks. But no one is breeding toward SOP in them except a couple. And no one but my self working with PRs in the state. I am on alot of lists state wide ect. I am not bragging just stating a fact.

And you are right feed costs alot more than $7. If you are happy with them all the better.

CA everything is way more expensive. Tn is a low income state so prices are not as high by far. But I have sold point of lays for $15 here aso.

Sorry to ruffle feathers but I take these birds seriously. I am working on improving my breeding stock. Not out for the fast buck as I sell very little of what I breed. I am working on my own bloodline strain here. There are so few true heritage stock strain in these color of rocks. People just gave up on them. Most hatchery stock is crossed with leghorn and it does show.

I am the only breeder of Partridge rocks in TN. There is a reson it is very rare to find breeders of them. They are not easy to breed do to pattern. Lots of Barred rocks here and even some blacks. But no one is breeding toward SOP in them except a couple. And no one but my self working with PRs in the state. I am on alot of lists state wide ect. I am not bragging just stating a fact.

And you are right feed costs alot more than $7. If you are happy with them all the better.

CA everything is way more expensive. Tn is a low income state so prices are not as high by far. But I have sold point of lays for $15 here aso.

Sorry to ruffle feathers but I take these birds seriously. I am working on improving my breeding stock. Not out for the fast buck as I sell very little of what I breed. I am working on my own bloodline strain here. There are so few true heritage stock strain in these color of rocks. People just gave up on them. Most hatchery stock is crossed with leghorn and it does show.

Are they New Heritage like the New Heritage Delawares that Kathyinmo has?

Please post pictures of your current breeders.

Do you sell hatching eggs?

Quote:
Not the ONLY breeder of Heritage Partridge Rocks
frow.gif
I have them too.... more coming from Dick Horstman. Can't wait to really get my feet wet with these BEAUTIFUL Birds. I have had them for well over a year.

I don't sell any stared pullets for $7 so that was a good price. Even my hatchery type birds, once I know they are pullets they are at least $7 at 4 weeks old.

I see lots of familiar names here.... but no one told me there was a partridge rock thread YEAH! LOVE this color pattern. I almost bought some of Foleys Partridge Wyandottes but decided I would just stick with my pretty rocks
tongue.png
Better layers too
lol.png

BTW I breed to the SOP too... all my birds.

Last edited:
frow.gif
I have them too.... more coming from Dick Horstman. Can't wait to really get my feet wet with these BEAUTIFUL Birds. I have had them for well over a year.

I don't sell any stared pullets for $7 so that was a good price. Even my hatchery type birds, once I know they are pullets they are at least $7 at 4 weeks old.

I see lots of familiar names here.... but no one told me there was a partridge rock thread YEAH! LOVE this color pattern. I almost bought some of Foleys Partridge Wyandottes but decided I would just stick with my pretty rocks
tongue.png
Better layers too
lol.png

BTW I breed to the SOP too... all my birds

I have Horstman hatching eggs in my incubator and am looking forward to hatching them!

I have two from McMurray and they are great! I am switching over to all Breeder quality now and really want to see what I get with this hatch...

Quote: Sounds like a plan. There is a HUGE difference in quality, but you still run into some of the same issues. BUT you start with way better basics.

I ordered about 2 doz eggs and only got 2-3 chicks. So I ordered chicks.... not taking anymore chances. I have Silver Penciled and Partridge coming. I am breeding my own line of Partridge Rocks too... still in development, but Horstman will get a lot of credit since his birds started the whole thing. But they will be uniquely MINE. I am in my Second Generation and waiting for my first eggs so I can start hatching... VERY EXCITED!

frow.gif

tongue.png
Better layers too
lol.png

BTW I breed to the SOP too... all my birds.

Glad to hear that more are getting into them. It is good that you are getting some of Dick's chicks. If you look a back posts here you will see some of my flock pics. I have been breeding for 6 years now I think. Too much happening here. LOL I started with MT Healthy chicks and have added Joel in VA hens. I free range so have had lots of losses due to that in past years. We are revamping coops this year and setting up more coops and breeding pens. Since family has moved in we now have no house space to hatch out in. I will not be selling any this year since I am keeping everything to improve stock and fill freezer. So far no broodies this year.

Back
Top Bottom