Partridge Rock Thread

Pics
I love my beautiful new Partridge Rock! I have had her for 6 days and she is 14 months old. I will have to take a picture of her to post.

welcome-byc.gif

One of mine got out today and was happily eating some of the newly seeded lawn! She let me pick her up like the big pet she is....

Mine are getting so big.. they are the sweetest chickens i have they come right to me everyday and eat out of my hand..the roo is so pretty he will probably be the best looking bird i have when he matures. That deep red color with the iridescent flashes are awesome looking to bad he will lose the barring..and if he grows into his feet he will be huge!!

Last edited:
Well, if it a single rooster with no other roosters around. 6 months to 8 months. Longer if there is a top rooster already. At least that has been the way of it here in the past 6 years.

Cool
Well, if it a single rooster with no other roosters around.  6 months to 8 months.  Longer if there is a top rooster already.  At least that has been the way of it here in the past 6 years.

cool thanks!! He's my oldest right now bout 4 months old. He's the only PR I have. Have heritage RIR also that look like 7 cockerels and 9 hens but they will be separated soon.
I'm thinking of breeding my PR cockerel over production reds I have. Just two hens.

Hey all. What a great thread. I am thinking about getting into PR and had a few questions i was hoping you could help me out with.

A lot of birds i have seen seem to be impure for the Pg patterning gene. At what point can you tell if a pullet has pure lacing (Pg/Pg)? A lot of birds i have seen have incomplete lacing and "smuttiness" that seems to indicate they are incomplete and only carrying one copy i.e (Pg/pg+)

I have also seen a fair bit of variation in the colouring, are they meant to be pure for the Mahogany gene (Mh/Mh)?

I have read a few books about them but they are from about 80 years ago and not really accurate on the genetics.

These are beautiful birds and i would love to breed some. I just need to nail down the genetics first, so i know what my starting stock is meant to be like!

caf.gif

Last edited:
Hey all. What a great thread. I am thinking about getting into PR and had a few questions i was hoping you could help me out with.

A lot of birds i have seen seem to be impure for the Pg patterning gene. At what point can you tell if a pullet has pure lacing (Pg/Pg)? A lot of birds i have seen have incomplete lacing and "smuttiness" that seems to indicate they are incomplete and only carrying one copy i.e (Pg/pg+)

I have also seen a fair bit of variation in the colouring, are they meant to be pure for the Mahogany gene (Mh/Mh)?

I have read a few books about them but they are from about 80 years ago and not really accurate on the genetics.

These are beautiful birds and i would love to breed some. I just need to nail down the genetics first, so i know what my starting stock is meant to be like!

caf.gif
Dick Horstman would be a good one to contact and get Show Quality PRs from. He has some of the best in the country. I hatched one from eggs he shipped and hope to see how it looks--It is only 2 weeks old now.

Back
Top Bottom