Pasty butt help! 4 day old chick

Aginnever

In the Brooder
Mar 24, 2019
I have a four day old buff orpington. Day 1 and 2 she was active, drinking, and pooping, no signs of pasty butt. Day 3 she became very lethargic. She slept most of the day and barely got up when you would touch her. She would get up, but then go back to sleep a moment later. She was still moving with the other chicks and cleaning herself, so I thought she wasnt too far gone yet.

I prepared myself for FTT, went out to do some chores and figured she would be gone by the time I got home. Day 4 I wake up to find her on her back, but she is still alive! I noticed pasty butt so I got out the oil and water to clean her off. While cleaning her off I feel like what I am looking at is strange. There is a large brown stump, idk if is poo or what. Also the more I clean her vent area it seems too fleshy, maybe it is swollen?

I did some more cleaning with the cotton swab and it seems it was nasty pasty butt. When I got the poo off she shot poo (yay) all over me. I think she was clogged! I put her back in the brooder.

Does anyone have recommendations or ideas on my next steps?

Attachments

• 1553431410432-2111906487.jpg
    1553431410432-2111906487.jpg
    383.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 1553431462760264712181.jpg
    1553431462760264712181.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 18
Poor baby. You’ll need to keep it clean. Keeping it lubricated will help. The skin needs to be protected so it will not become inflamed or infected.
I would not use something thick like a Vaseline.
I’d use coconut oil or any vegetable oil that would allow the skin to breath a little.
The chick can get past this with some TLC left untreated it could go in very bad direction. Make a
point to pick this chick up a few times a day to check, clean and oil her. Good job on catching it quickly and being aware. Best wishes

Poor baby. You’ll need to keep it clean. Keeping it lubricated will help. The skin needs to be protected so it will not become inflamed or infected.
I would not use something thick like a Vaseline.
I’d use coconut oil or any vegetable oil that would allow the skin to breath a little.
The chick can get past this with some TLC left untreated it could go in very bad direction. Make a
point to pick this chick up a few times a day to check, clean and oil her. Good job on catching it quickly and being aware. Best wishes
I used vegetable oil, as it is all I had on hand. I will keep an eye on her.

I have seen many people using apple cider vinegar to help prevent pasty butt, I have always used electrolytes in their water. What does everyone recommend, and why?

Rough day.... I've been keeping a close eye on her all day. I watched her poo, but she struggled to push it out. She isn't eating that I have seen and she is barely drinking. I gave her a little electrolyte water on the side of her beak and she did swallow a few drops. She has stopped peeping, only a few puffs of air come out when she tries.

Raising chicks is rough. She just wants to be under the light and sleep. She is still getting up and running to the other chicks every now and then, but the future is looking bleak.

I feel like her vent still looks dirty but I can't seem to get anymore eith the q-tip. I may try soaking her butt for a bit in warm water because I'm not sure we have any other choice. The blockage may be too deep for me to get.

I always give my chicks just a tad bit of acv unfiltered in their water. It has seemed to me to help keep them from getting pasty butt. The Vaseline or veg oil on their hiney will help alot too for sure.

Don't forget to keep checking your other chicks too- also consider changing the feed you're using. Hope she gets better!
I am using the Purina medicated chick feed. The chicks were hatched Wednesday and came home Thursday.

I am using the Purina medicated chick feed. The chicks were hatched Wednesday and came home Thursday.

So I checked the other chicks, one was completely clear, the other had some poo on her bottom, not near her vent, but I went to clean it anyway and she pooped all over me lol....no blockage there.

Back
Top Bottom