Patrick and his Chick-One proud PaPa

dnkfarm

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 28, 2011
Iva, SC

So Happy!!
celebrate.gif

So is the bulls eye on top of the head boy or girl? I didn't see anything but lines on top of this babes head.

Yes Patrick will keep his chick for..ever. It is such a joy to watch Patrick has his hands? full the chick runs all over the place w/Patrick hot on his heels:) I love watching mom, pop and baby taking strolls thru the woods together. Any ideas on if Patrick will ever let me touch the chick. I haven't tried and Patrick isn't aggressive with me but I don't want to get chased either..

Dnkfarm,

On taming the chick: Patrick and the chick are a unit (at present). If you can sit close to Patrick, you can sit close to the chick – but the chick can and will become tamer because it is ‘assimilating’ you with the rest of its environment. If I may suggest:

sit as close to the two as you can. Sit still still still. Over weeks, flick little bits of Yummy-for-emus things like apple at both Patrick and the chick. Hold the yummies in your hand, and flick them with your thumb, the way you flick a marble. This minimises movement, which is the bottom line: it’s movement that frightens them more than anything. Over those weeks, decrease the distance that you flick the bits. Then, when you’re down to about six feet, try this:

lie on the ground, belly up, with a hat over your face (critters fear eye contact), and one hand, full of yummies, fully extended. Wait. Keep waiting. Eventually you will have the thrilling experience of feeling a little beak snatch a yummy from your palm.

Next stage:

sit on a low stool, all hunched up, with your yummy-filled hand extended to the chick at head-level. Sit perfectly still. Et cetera, et cetera

hmmm . . . Patrick and chick will stay together forever? I shall be a cynic, and predict that Patrick and the chick-when-adult will be at loggerheads.

Supreme Emu

Last edited:
Dnkfarm,

On taming the chick: Patrick and the chick are a unit (at present). If you can sit close to Patrick, you can sit close to the chick – but the chick can and will become tamer because it is ‘assimilating’ you with the rest of its environment. If I may suggest:

sit as close to the two as you can. Sit still still still. Over weeks, flick little bits of Yummy-for-emus things like apple at both Patrick and the chick. Hold the yummies in your hand, and flick them with your thumb, the way you flick a marble. This minimises movement, which is the bottom line: it’s movement that frightens them more than anything. Over those weeks, decrease the distance that you flick the bits. Then, when you’re down to about six feet, try this:

lie on the ground, belly up, with a hat over your face (critters fear eye contact), and one hand, full of yummies, fully extended. Wait. Keep waiting. Eventually you will have the thrilling experience of feeling a little beak snatch a yummy from your palm.

Next stage:

sit on a low stool, all hunched up, with your yummy-filled hand extended to the chick at head-level. Sit perfectly still. Et cetera, et cetera

hmmm . . . Patrick and chick will stay together forever? I shall be a cynic, and predict that Patrick and the chick-when-adult will be at loggerheads.

Supreme Emu

Thanks for the great info! Well maybe they will at least live in the same area! He loves the baby so much hard to picture being at odds with each other. Sarah Faye the mom emu takes part in watching over baby too! Thanks again for info will start working on it right away!

Back
Top Bottom