PBA(Parrot Beak Asil/Aseel) USA, Project(And Discussion Thread)

If you're a fan of Oriental Gamefowl, & want a unique Breed?

• Total voters
Pics

MysteryChicken

Preserving Gamefowl, 1 Variety At a Time🇮🇳🇺🇸
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
May 31, 2018
Tawas City, Michigan
Okay, since I'm breeding my Malays next spring, & mine carry some particular traits, like short/blunt beaks, Shrimp tail, fan tail, & now just found out mine carry long tail traits too.

This is Goliath
20220526_144247.jpg
The hen he bred this year.
20221022_102001.jpg
Their son, Long.
20221030_131555.jpg

This project is pretty much straight forward. I've just gotta select for short beaks, & long tails until I get the results I'm looking for. It could take 3-5+ years depending on where I start.

I may add some Sumatra to help exaggerate the tail abit, & for an extra boost.

I'm currently looking for a good quality, less pugnacious Aseel breed to add to my Malays bloodline for genetics diversity.

Questions, & tips are welcome.

Last edited:
The first Shamo I met was at a Chicken show. That was the longest legged, longest necked chicken I've ever seen. Since he was a show chicken he had a calm demeanor. The way he stared at the Judge with those yellowish eyes was unnerving. Didn't resist being picked up, palpated all over but like a typical chicken he plopped a big poop as soon as he was put down. He then looked the Judge right in the eye as if to say, 'Judge that."

This is one I don't quite get, they're Shamos, but are deemed different cause a few different features, like Shrimp Tail, Walnut comb, Split wing? Japanese class their birds weirdly.

Honestly they look like stumpy Bantam Malays too me.

In Japan, Shamo just basically means Gamefowl.

There are O Shamo and Chu Shamo, which are different weight classes of the large fowl Shamo. These are what are probably most like what we call the 'Shamo' breed here. Then there are Nankin Shamo, which are the bantam Shamo.

There are the Ko Shamo, which were bred to be purely ornamental, but to have the "spirit of the fighter" even though they were never actually used for that.

There is the Yamato Shamo, more commonly known here as Yamato Gunkei.

There are also the Kinpa, Yakida, and and Ehigo-Nankin Shamo, which are also counted as Shamo breeds.

So "Shamo" isn't really a breed in Japan. It's a class of fowl.

I have a project where I’m trying to put long tails on my birds that also have some O Shamo in them. I’m not trying to replicate the long-tailed Asil though. I’m actually going for a more horizontal body-type in order to keep the tail higher and more off the ground.
IMG_9344.jpeg
IMG_9363.jpeg

I’m trying to get the long tails on my iridescent project birds but it’s going to take several generations to get the iridescent color and the long tails on the same birds.
IMG_9802.jpeg

The first Shamo I met was at a Chicken show. That was the longest legged, longest necked chicken I've ever seen. Since he was a show chicken he had a calm demeanor. The way he stared at the Judge with those yellowish eyes was unnerving. Didn't resist being picked up, palpated all over but like a typical chicken he plopped a big poop as soon as he was put down. He then looked the Judge right in the eye as if to say, 'Judge that."
Would've been funnier if the judge was pooped on.

Back
Top Bottom