Peababies hatching I am a grandmother!

That is his 'belly button'. It takes about 24 hours to heal on up. When they dry out and get fluffy we just never notice it on new chicks.

Thanks so much Miss Prissy. You are a jewel!
He just finished drinking on his own while laying in my palm, so I put him back to rest now.

Oh how sweet! They are adorable. CONGRATS!
smile.png

Oh Congratulations. I thought about the little egg peeping as I fell asleep last night. And how awesome that you hatched him yourself...lol Sounds like you are doing everything pretty well. If the other two eggs got chilled they probably aren't going to make it. When you candled them did you see anything inside?

I can feel the fluffy mass inside of one egg when I lift it in my hand. My sense is the other one is now void though it was also fertile. I just put them in my brand new incubator set between 99 and 100.
Unlike the egg last night, I don't hear anything inside of these. You might be right Chickndaddy. :|

Thank you for your thoughts. I think they helped him pull through despite the chill.
smile.png

We will see what happens to these last two overnight
pop.gif

In the spirit of true triskaidekaphobia, or Murphey's Law, I also noted the Friday 13th baby has curled feet. This is probably due to the general debility from suffering a chill during the hatching process being abandoned by its mother. SO, in addition to hatching the fellow, I also just made him a pair of boots to straighten his toes. See https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=51112

I
will not include a picture now because he has been through a lot today. But the boots are similar to this.

curlytoes1.jpg

I do hope he pulls through. He is not the runt of the litter to me but rather a gift in my mind because were it not for my intervention, he would not have been born at all. If anything his very existence is a testament to the strength of WILL in the face of adversity. I have had to use every trick in the book.

His fate is in God's hands now.

I am exhausted. I am going to rest now too.

PS On a brighter note, the first three born yesterday are doing wonderfully. They are energetic fluffy and perky
big_smile.png

My Friday the 13th miracle chick just expired
hit.gif

May it rest in peace.
imagef025.jpg

10412_friday13131505.jpg

I did all I could but God wanted him with Him.
The other 3 are doing very well.
hit.gif

Last edited:
Hey Dixie Thanks for the PM telling me Im a Great Grand mama!! YAY.
Peachicks are a lot more fragile than chickens. You might lose more before they reach 2 months old. after that age they seem to be pretty hearty. Also Pea hens are not great moms.... the mortality rate on peachicks is pretty high.

Sorry about your one baby. keep a close eye on the others :)) If you hand raise them yourself you can get them to be amazingly tame.... to the point of flying onto your shoulder!!

Yes I have sebastopol babies, and one hen just started laying again!!

Back
Top Bottom