Peachicks on the ground....

chckndaddy

Songster
6 Years
Apr 4, 2017
I just got a pare of peachicks yesterday, I'm thinking they're at least 3 months old maybe more. My original plan was to put them in their own pen that I built for them, until I heard that they can get worms from being on the ground. The pen I built for them is the back of my barn so it has a dirt floor. Could I possibly just cover the entire floor with pine pellets to keep them from making contact with the ground to avoid any worms or diseases?

Why mid winter? I ask because I am treating my peachick for cocci and worms once per month and am wondering why we should stop during mid-winter.
I guess it depends IF you have winter where you live. Here we go into the deep freeze during late Dec that usually lasts four to six weeks at which time it is very unlikely for the birds to pick up worms or cocci. Add in the fact that by that age the chicks have built up a fair resistance to cocci and unless stressed cocci is not likely to bloom.

I guess it depends IF you have winter where you live. Here we go into the deep freeze during late Dec that usually lasts four to six weeks at which time it is very unlikely for the birds to pick up worms or cocci. Add in the fact that by that age the chicks have built up a fair resistance to cocci and unless stressed cocci is not likely to bloom.

Got it. Though we rarely have a deep freeze here in North Florida. We might have a mild freeze once or twice during winter in the low thirties or even into the 20s but it never lasts long.

Thanks for the explanation. I was just wondering about that.

Back
Top Bottom