Peacocks?

The Phantom

I love birds!!!
6 Years
Jan 9, 2017
SE Wisconsin
I am maybe looking at some peacocks. I just have a few questions. So I am in Wisconsin and the winters are cold here. What would they need for protection? Also the pen would be 2acres big with 8 foot high fence. It has a small hill some trees, and tall grass. How does that sound for peacocks? My deck is also in the pen. I am guessing they would roost on it? How tame are they? Would they be super tame if I hand raised them? Just looking for info on them.
Thanks! :D

I am maybe looking at some peacocks. I just have a few questions. So I am in Wisconsin and the winters are cold here. What would they need for protection? Also the pen would be 2acres big with 8 foot high fence. It has a small hill some trees, and tall grass. How does that sound for peacocks? My deck is also in the pen. I am guessing they would roost on it? How tame are they? Would they be super tame if I hand raised them? Just looking for info on them.
Thanks! :D
They will fly over an 8-foot fence, :(

They would be pretty tame if you hand raised them, but the males might later be aggressive, so that's something to think about.

Peafowl can easily hop over a 8 ft fence, even with clipped wings. I read that Indian peafowl do well in the cold but they still need shelter, I think a secure building with no drafts could work. I think Spalding and green do poor in the cold but I am not sure. They will stick around the general area if they are free range but they might prefer to roost up in the trees. You should start doing some more research if you are thinking about getting some, even if you end up deciding not to get peafowl it is still nice to learn about them.

Here is a thread I posted in March asking about diseases and things, casportpony helped me out a lot, if you want to go and look at the links and common diseases then go ahead. You should also look into brooding peachicks, it is a lot longer than brooding chicks.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/peafowl-noob.1224561/

Casportpony, are you saying if you handle male peachicks they are more likely to become aggressive?
Cocks are more likely to become aggressive than hens. When they lose their fear of humans they think they can treat us like they would other birds. When they stake out a territory they will defend it from other cocks and humans.

Back
Top Bottom