pecked in the eye

anitalogan

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 17, 2011
Greenville, North Carolina
I warned him, yes I did. I told him that I had read on this forum not to get eye level with a chicken. DH picked up one of our teenage chickens and put her on his shoulder. I snapped this picture seconds before she pecked him in the eye. Thank goodness he wasn't injured seriously.
82926_dscn0233.jpg

I'm not sure I'd let a red cockerel on my shoulder.
lau.gif
. My RIR pullet has attacked me 3 times challenging me in the pecking order.LOL

I let my wyandotte on my shoulder and not only has she pecked me in the eye, she's eaten my earring(only pair I own) and down the hatch it went. Luckily she wasn't too big when I got it in the eye. When they are on my shoulder, I always look away the opposite direction. I've leaned my lesson!

I'm glad you dh wasn't hurt.

Yup, been there done that!

My sweetest little Rhode Island White at 8 weeks did the same to me. Except she climbed up from my arm to my shoulder first, she wanted to get one of those shiny things. Luckily it was a light peck and I closed my eyes when I saw her coming in, no injury.

I saw this post and just had to read it. A couple of days ago we let our 16 week old pullets out to run around the yard before bed. I was laying on the grass with my eyes closed and next thing I know I feel this whack on my glasses. My buff orpington which is the most curious of the bunch was pecking at where the screw sealing in the lens is on my glasses. She gave it a couple of good pecks before I pushed her away. I will definitely be careful with them around my eyes.

I just came in because my chicken pecked me in the eye while on my shoulder. HURTS! Could'nt closemy lid fast enough! Eye and nose watering like crazy. Any suggestions? (besides not to do that again) Ouch!!!
Thanks!

My BR hen got me about 4 months ago...bad enough I went to the eye dr. the next day.

Now I take a pair of safety glasses out every day...and if they roam close to me I put them on (we have a table next the chair I sit in and sometimes they try to hop up on me from there).

Wear your safety glasses!! ...it's no fun getting pecked in the eye (and reliving the vision of that beak coming at you over and over and over :)

I think she pecked a tiny piece of chick grit into my eye-that's why it hurt so much. Little piece was in corner of my eye later the net day. Went to dr and there was just a bit of irritation, yay!

Back
Top Bottom