Pecking injury...

How many times should I be putting the neosporin on? And should I flush it out between?
Just keep it moist. Yes, flush before adding more ointment.
Might want to remove any feathers that might get stuck in wound.
Watch for signs of infection, just like you would on your own skin.
Bruising might show up, will look green.

I guess Popcorn is one of my layers😊 Pictures are before I put neosporin on again this morning. I think its looking good, don't you? How many times should I be putting the neosporin on? And should I flush it out between? I did see her eating and drinking too. Hopefully my patient heals soon! Will check the coop later for any spots she might have gotten tangled on. My hubby says it looks sorta like she got her feathers caught somewhere and panicked and ripped herself free. Coop windows and run are completely covered in quarter inch hardware so I really don't think someone could reach their grubby hands through. But I'll check it all over anyways. Sorry the pictures are blurry, my son took them
I think it looks pretty good.
I would flush as needed to keep it clean, then keep it moist with the Neosporin.

Nice egg! See...she was saving that blankie for a nest - didn't want to get it dirty overnight:)

You have got to be kidding me!! Now another one has the same wounds, same spot! Only difference is she has it on both thighs! I noticed her when I was checking for anywhere the first one could have gotten injured. This pretty much confirms a pecking problem, right? This is Cinnamon, a pearl star leghorn. Same age as Popcorn, and I know Cinnamon has been laying because I got 6 eggs today for 6 pullets. Ugh, this is really frustrating! The wounds are right where their wings end, on their body. Right at the thighs. I did the same thing wih Cinnamon. Flushed it with warm water, appled Bennixx then neosporin. Put her down in my basement with Popcorn. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to eliminate this problem? Hubby did put a Wyze cam out in the coop, so I can keep an eye on them, maybe catch the bully. Pictures of Cinnamon are attached, remember, she has it on both sides.

Attachments

• IMG_20210213_180311174_BURST000_COVER.jpg
    IMG_20210213_180311174_BURST000_COVER.jpg
    576.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20210213_180311174_BURST002.jpg
    IMG_20210213_180311174_BURST002.jpg
    584.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20210213_180347686.jpg
    IMG_20210213_180347686.jpg
    368.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20210213_180350061.jpg
    IMG_20210213_180350061.jpg
    395.7 KB · Views: 14
Well, both girls are in their own seperate dog crates now. Hubby borrowed one from a coworker. Popcorn is looking worse. And I can't get neosporin or pine tar to stay on her skin, it keeps sliding off. I'll keep trying. Cinnamon has been treated with the pine tar and looks ok. Both girls laid today. This is all so frustrating! I feel like a horrible chicken owner! If another one gets pecked or wounded, I don't know what I'll do. So far, the four in the coop look ok. I did see them pecking at Popcorn when she was in there, actually pecking at her wound and eating it. Pretty gross actually. That's why we borrowed the second dog crate. I can't trust Cinnamon to leave her alone if they were caged together. If Cinnamon keeps this pecking up, hubby said he would ring her neck. Literally

Thank you to @aart and @Wyorp Rock for all the help you gave me in dealing with not one, not two, but three bullied chickens! The other two, Popcorn and Cinnamon, seem to be doing good in the coop. They haven't pecked each other and actually cuddle on the perch at night. In about a week, I will slowly add the three bully chickens back to the coop to see if they get along. I will post here if I have any other issues with all that. Thanks again

So, another update. For the last week and a half, both pearl star leghorns(Cinnamon and Sweet Pea) and the light brahma(Popcorn) have been in the coop together, very successfully. So, yesterday, I introduced back one of the black sex links(Fairy). They were all out free ranging and Fairy just could not leave Popcorn alone. Those butt feathers were just too tempting I guess. Then she was going after Cinnamon. It got dark and I was hoping they would be ok through the night. Well, this morning, while I was eating breakfast, I saw her going after Popcorn and Cinnamon again. So, my husband and I went out and checked. Popcorn has been bloodied again. We have culled Fairy the bully. Broomstick method. Now, Popcorn is back in her dog cage. She doesn't look bad, hoping she heals well. I do still have another black sex link(Midnight) in another dog cage, in chicken jail. She was bullying too. I will wait a few days and put her in with the others. If she still bullies, out she goes too. I will not have that in my flock. And I will never again get black sex link chickens

Attachments

• IMG_20210313_124922114_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210313_124922114_HDR.jpg
    473.5 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom