pecking order / flock management question

lv9777

Songster
Aug 29, 2021
Michigan
I have a flock of 6, Barred Rock - my top hen, two full size Cochins next in line, a RIR, a Maran, and an EE. The last three were raised by my broody Cochin last summer. Everyone except the EE has integrated into the flock. The EE is low bird in the order. This is fine, but she is always alone and does not get within a few feet of the others. She also acts like I am going to kill her when I come out with treats. All the other ladies come when called and are friendly. We have renamed the EE "chicken Little" because she always runs away screaming like the sky is falling.
There is no blood shed. My run is 12 x 20, plenty of room and they free range nightly. Everyone is laying well. I wonder if I add another 2-3 chicks (which I would love to do) if EE will settle down and find a friend? Is this typical for the low bird or is this bird super sensitive and it is more about her than the rest of the flock. I just feel badly for her as this doesn't seem like a great life.

A few misconceptions here - your EE IS integrated into the flock. Her position is bottom of the pecking order. She is still part of the flock and knows her position.

Adding new chicks will not magically give her friends. Not to say they couldn't become friends over time, but during integration your EE will most likely be the biggest bully to the new additions.

If you'd like to get new chicks, by all means do so, but don't feel like you need to add them just to try and give her buddies.

A few misconceptions here - your EE IS integrated into the flock. Her position is bottom of the pecking order. She is still part of the flock and knows her position.

Adding new chicks will not magically give her friends. Not to say they couldn't become friends over time, but during integration your EE will most likely be the biggest bully to the new additions.

If you'd like to get new chicks, by all means do so, but don't feel like you need to add them just to try and give her buddies.
:thumbsup

Each chicken has its own personality. That's part of what makes them such great pets for so many people. But not all personalities are what we like. I do not consider her behavior to be typical as far as that goes but it can be hard to determine what is actually typical. They are all different, just some more than others.

I also have a dramatic Easter egger low in the pecking order. When I added some new chicks she ranked higher than most of them in the pecking order but did not spend more time hanging out with either the older group of chicks or the new group. She does her own thing and I think that's okay.

Back
Top Bottom