Pecking wounds and separation advice needed

Lee_Scion

In the Brooder
Jun 16, 2018
Hello,
I was looking for some advice on some mild pecking I discovered this morning. One of my ladies has two small peck wounds on her head (picture attached.. sorry for the bad quality she was very hard to get a picture of on my own), and was mostly wondering if I should separate her from the others.
MVIMG_20181002_161256.jpg

Basically some insight into my current situation, their coop is too small currently (and their new coop is still a couple days away from being completed) normally they spend most of their time in their run, and every day they get free run of the yard for a few hours (we have a lot of predators around so they are never left out on their own) However yesterday we had terrible weather, and they chose to spend their whole day inside their actual coop, and didn't even spend time in the run.

My concern with separating her is I would not be able to separate her within eyesight of the other hens. I do not have a another shelter that is safe from the elements currently, so she would have to be brought inside. And I am worried about how this will affect their social structure.

Currently the wounds are fairly small, and not bleeding, and the other hens have completely ignored them all day while I have been watching them. All of them have also been behaving completely normally while they have been out, still exploring in a group with no signs of fighting.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:
I wouldn't separate either unless it becomes much worse. Glad they are getting a bigger coop soon.

I have had this problem on and off for several weeks, too. And I have opted to let the girls work it out. Your hen's injuries don't look significant to me and I think separating them causes more stress than the pecking dispute that caused the injury in the first place (which has long since been forgotten by the hen). But I'm interested to hear what others have to say.

Back
Top Bottom