The dog wormers I know are poisonous. You need to throw away the eggs for a couple of weeks if you use it.

all wormers contain the same chemicals. dosage for each animal or people is what makes difference - a vet explained. as I mentioned before dosage for chickens should be doubled. the reason to throw away the eggs is not that eggs contain wormer but bc no research has ever be done, so better safe than sorry. I boil those eggs for a week and give them back to the chickens. common sense says that if they have 1/2 pill and digest it fast there is no time for the chemicals to come to the eggs. but still I don't eat eggs for a week just in case. human wormers contain the same chemicals as dog's and they are poisonous for the worms only. but worms can build resistance if we take a small amount of wormer - that is the real problem.

The issues why some medications are not permitted is that the companies did not request another authorization after if ran out. It costs money and if they don't make enough money (for them) or there are different medication where it would more profitable they might not renew the permit. For that they need to put lots of money towards that permit. They need to do new studies which involves peoplel working, over head within a building and probably fees.

May I introduce? The first chick of the year. It's from my red breeding group.
980ab5a5-bbe1-4f13-90a1-52a580c0b2ef.jpg

The issues why some medications are not permitted is that the companies did not request another authorization after if ran out. It costs money and if they don't make enough money (for them) or there are different medication where it would more profitable they might not renew the permit. For that they need to put lots of money towards that permit. They need to do new studies which involves peoplel working, over head within a building and probably fees.
I think they don’t allow dewormers for cats, dogs and show birds to use for chickens in the chicken industry (consumption), because these residues in the eggs and meat are not healthy for humans.

The mighty chicken industry has enough money for research. And we have a agricultural university that does a lot of research (WUR) Non profit and for payment .

I found very good info on chicken health:
Title: Health organic laying hens (farming)
https://edepot.wur.nl/36929
Below two pieces of info from this report.
Page 46-48. If you are interested you can use google translate (page by page) to read the whole report.

Resistance to worms
Chickens can develop a resistance to worms to some extent, keeping infestations at a low level. This resistance is maintained as long as the animal is infected with some worms. If the animal is free of worms, this resistance disappears. For this reason, it is not recommended to treat hens with minor infestations.

Treatment against worms
Only the active ingredient flubendazole (Flubenol, Solubenol) is permitted in the Netherlands for the regular control of worms. There is no longer a waiting period for this product, so that its use has no consequences for the sale of the eggs.

Two strategies are possible when using a wormer:
- worming if necessary
- regularly according to a fixed schedule (also called strategic by the GD)
called deworming). With a regular schedule, it is recommended to deworm every 6 to 8 weeks or, if there is a high infection pressure, every 5 weeks.

@BDutch How would you know if there is a high infection pressure?
I think they are referring to the amount of space and amount of animals. At the large chicken farms, the infection pressure is higher than it is at a back yard chicken owner with 3 chickens. Although you could also say that chickens that live outside, are more likely to come into contact with worms by eating small animals that may carry worms.

when I see a big poop that looks like covered with rice I know there is a chicken overloaded with tapeworms. it usually happened after some rats try to make a home in my backyard.

my guess is that rats bring tapeworms then earthworms get them and at the end my chickens eat earthworms.

in case of worm overload I always mix: chilly pepper, thyme, basil and oregano with chicken mash for 2-3 days before worming them. that way they expel some worms. if there are too many dead/poisoned worms inside chickens they can get poisoned too and die.

Back
Top Bottom