Pekin can’t walk- steps on own feet

HarleyTa

In the Brooder
Feb 6, 2022
Hey guys, I just adopted 2 adult pekin females this weekend. One had a broken leg that “healed” before I got them. However, the gal cannot walk. If she hobbles anywhere, it is a few feet and she uses her bill or wings to balance. She can stand on both legs for a little bit but then lays down or she leans on her haunches. When standing, both feet are turned inwards, literally stepping on her own feet, and mostly falls over or can only walk backwards. The lady I got them from took her to the vet, and was told the leg was broken and was given antibiotics/pain meds. The lady had her in a pvc sling a few hours per day, and did water therapy for a few hours per day for 3 or so weeks. I am continuing the therapy and sling but have not seen any improvement. The gal doesn’t seem to be in pain and is super sweet. I’m going to get niacin today but should I do anything else?

Attachments

• F1F4AA85-EDA3-4A3B-A065-E99E726900A5.png
    F1F4AA85-EDA3-4A3B-A065-E99E726900A5.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 33
  • 1D59368B-664C-4ECA-89C6-5BF3F1FE016F.png
    1D59368B-664C-4ECA-89C6-5BF3F1FE016F.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 16
  • DF55A46D-9997-4C71-9C2D-E2482BF56279.png
    DF55A46D-9997-4C71-9C2D-E2482BF56279.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Hey guys, I just adopted 2 adult pekin females this weekend. One had a broken leg that “healed” before I got them. However, the gal cannot walk. If she hobbles anywhere, it is a few feet and she uses her bill or wings to balance. She can stand on both legs for a little bit but then lays down or she leans on her haunches. When standing, both feet are turned inwards, literally stepping on her own feet, and mostly falls over or can only walk backwards. The lady I got them from took her to the vet, and was told the leg was broken and was given antibiotics/pain meds. The lady had her in a pvc sling a few hours per day, and did water therapy for a few hours per day for 3 or so weeks. I am continuing the therapy and sling but have not seen any improvement. The gal doesn’t seem to be in pain and is super sweet. I’m going to get niacin today but should I do anything else?
What form of niacin are you getting? And how much are you dosing for her? I would start immediately with durvet cattle injectable B complex, from TSC.(given orally) I would give 1ml over a treat daily. Keeping up with the water therapy. Not sure what else could help here.

@Miss Lydia

Back
Top Bottom