Kitkat1992

In the Brooder
May 24, 2023
I'm a newbie with ducks. I recently (about a month & half ago) purchased 4 at a farm store. 2 pekin & 2 Cayuga. Not to sure on sex.This illness has came on all of a sudden with 1 of the pekin. One morning(a few days ago) I let them out to the pen in the yard then later on that evening he/she didn't get up to come inside. Since then he/she has been progressively getting worse. Still eats & drinks but eating the Purina flock raiser feed is becoming only a few bites the whole day. He/she will eat bananas & earthworms all day though. Drinks water throughout entire day (not what it should be drinking). Usually quacks frequently, not so much now. thought it was a niacin deficiency. Been given vitamin b complex (1ml daily), poultry nutri-drench (almost 1ml daily), gatorlyte for today. Sometimes tries to move with wings.
The other pekin has always had an unusual sounding breathing but is now getting worse.. i believe the other 2 are sounding more like the pekin.
. Need advice on what I should do. & what this illness could possibly be. I do have fish antibiotics (angelplus.com) coming in the mail but won't arrive for the next 2 days. I don't want to lose any of these ducks so please help me
Symptoms:
  • Bright green poop (sometimes w/white) watery consistency
  • Weak
  • Vision may be off cause when I hand feed her ill have to put it in a certain spot for her to nibble
  • Won't use her legs to stand/walk (even in water only sorta uses 1 leg to paddle)
  • Shivers after getting in water (I bathe her 2 a day)
  • Breathing sounds like wheezing maybe labored breathing even
  • pale or discolored comb
  • Poor feeding response
  • Lethargic
  • Quack sounds different.

I'm a newbie with ducks. I recently (about a month & half ago) purchased 4 at a farm store. 2 pekin & 2 Cayuga. Not to sure on sex.This illness has came on all of a sudden with 1 of the pekin. One morning(a few days ago) I let them out to the pen in the yard then later on that evening he/she didn't get up to come inside. Since then he/she has been progressively getting worse. Still eats & drinks but eating the Purina flock raiser feed is becoming only a few bites the whole day. He/she will eat bananas & earthworms all day though. Drinks water throughout entire day (not what it should be drinking). Usually quacks frequently, not so much now. thought it was a niacin deficiency. Been given vitamin b complex (1ml daily), poultry nutri-drench (almost 1ml daily), gatorlyte for today. Sometimes tries to move with wings.
The other pekin has always had an unusual sounding breathing but is now getting worse.. i believe the other 2 are sounding more like the pekin.
. Need advice on what I should do. & what this illness could possibly be. I do have fish antibiotics (angelplus.com) coming in the mail but won't arrive for the next 2 days. I don't want to lose any of these ducks so please help me
Symptoms:
  • Bright green poop (sometimes w/white) watery consistency
  • Weak
  • Vision may be off cause when I hand feed her ill have to put it in a certain spot for her to nibble
  • Won't use her legs to stand/walk (even in water only sorta uses 1 leg to paddle)
  • Shivers after getting in water (I bathe her 2 a day)
  • Breathing sounds like wheezing maybe labored breathing even
  • pale or discolored comb
  • Poor feeding response
  • Lethargic
  • Quack sounds different.
Hi
Were you able to get any help? I’ll tag this for you just in case.
@Goosebaby
@Miss Lydia

I’m so sorry your ducks are sick!

Wheezing sounds like a respiratory illness.

The bright green droppings could be a number of things, maybe a sign of liver injury, possibly poisoning. It also can be caused by an infection of the intestine or from lack of eating for a few days.

Intestinal infections can cause breathing issues from inflammation affecting the lower air sacs. Typically you will see the bird panting if that’s the case.

Lack of use of the legs could be botulism or from a virus or other bacterial infection.

What‘s really concerning is this “Quack sound different.” Voice changes can be due to respiratory illnesses.
Bacterial and viral causes can make the bird sound gurgly, fungal infections affect the pitch of the voice and can manifest before the bird shows more obvious symptoms. Unfortunately if it’s aspergillosis, a mold infection, the prognosis is very poor once symptoms appear and it is incredibly costly and difficult to treat.

How long has the voice change been going on?

Could your ducks have eaten anything metallic or been exposed to galvanized objects, paint, pesticides?

How old are the ducks?

What antibiotics did you buy?

Can you post a video somewhere like Vimeo, YouTube or instagram and link it here?

The bright green droppings could be a number of things, maybe a sign of liver injury, possibly poisoning. It also can be caused by an infection of the intestine or from lack of eating for a few days.

Intestinal infections can cause breathing issues from inflammation affecting the lower air sacs. Typically you will see the bird panting if that’s the case.

Lack of use of the legs could be botulism or from a virus or other bacterial infection.

What‘s really concerning is this “Quack sound different.” Voice changes can be due to respiratory illnesses.
Bacterial and viral causes can make the bird sound gurgly, fungal infections affect the pitch of the voice and can manifest before the bird shows more obvious symptoms. Unfortunately if it’s aspergillosis, a mold infection, the prognosis is very poor once symptoms appear and it is incredibly costly and difficult to treat.

Could your ducks have eaten anything metallic or been exposed to galvanized objects, paint, pesticides?

How old are the ducks?

Can you post a video somewhere like Vimeo, YouTube or instagram and link it here?

How old are the ducks?

@Goosebaby

It’s hard to tell because of the background Interference from the wind but given the age and the way it sounds it could very likely be normal voice changes. The white duck is a drake and his voice is transitioning from a squeaky quack onto a low quiet rasp which is completely normal, and the females will get a deeper quack, but still sound squeaky when they’re excited.

Their voices are the strangest at this age and can sound different sometimes every day.

Back
Top Bottom