Pekin Duck Club!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/6558610/width/200/height/400[

Finally got a pic up of our quakmire

Hi all.
I have just learned I have a female duck. When I bought them, I was told they were all males. Yesterday I saw our first egg. Today there was a second.
I was wondering what I should do with the eggs only because the female is laying the eggs right in front of the entrance. I don't want to disturb her once she starts sitting on them and I read to not move them but they are literally right where you walk in. Should I leave them and figure out a way to get around her or move the eggs to a safer place?

Do you want babies is the question? I don't let my ducks have babies are there are so many unwanted animals in the world I don't want to add to it. Also, 9 out of 10 times when someone tells you the story of the duck they owned, they either don't remember what happened to it or it had a tragic ending. They are so cute when they are babies everyone wants to take one home but most don't realize the responsibility of owning it just like any pet. I take my eggs and put them in the refrigerator right away. I sell them to neighbors to help pay for kibble or use them myself. Just a thought :0)

@ashes22 I'm assuming you haven't provided a nest at all, since you didn't know you had a girl?

In my experience, Pekins will lay an egg anywhere in the beginning (half the time I don't think they're even aware of what's going on). You'll need to train her to lay in a nest by first providing a nesting box of some kind. If she still won't lay there after a few weeks then you may need to lock her in overnight.

For now, collect all the eggs she's laying in front of the door. Pekins are very unlikely to go broody if ever at all, so she won't mind you taking those eggs!

We do want the first batch of babies. I live in NY and don't know many people that would want ducks so we said after the first batch we would take the eggs. I am just so afraid of where she is laying them because I have to step over them in order to get to the food, pool, water, etc. - we have a very secure set-up. It is completely covered. We put chicken wire around kennel and underground going out about 4 inches around the entire kennel - plus poured cement for extra security around border of kennel. The top is covered as well.

Hi Kary408. Once I saw the first egg I put a nest together for her right near to where the first egg was found but she hasn't gone near it yet. I have read that after 10-12 eggs are laid she will sit (or incubate) until they are ready to hatch. I was going to wait until then to see if she is. I am still not sure which one is the female as of yet. I have 6 ducks and it is my first time owning ducks.

Hi Kary408. Once I saw the first egg I put a nest together for her right near to where the first egg was found but she hasn't gone near it yet. I have read that after 10-12 eggs are laid she will sit (or incubate) until they are ready to hatch. I was going to wait until then to see if she is. I am still not sure which one is the female as of yet. I have 6 ducks and it is my first time owning ducks.

Your female will sound noticeably different than your males. She'll be louder and make a more typical quack sound. Also, your boys will have drake feathers; a few feathers at the tail that curl up and over in a circle, the female's tail will be straight. As your female lays she will likely loose color in her her beak starting at the tip and can develop black freckles on it as well.

Also keep an eye out for mating behavior. I've read that ducks need to lay for a little while before they start to produce hatchable eggs. If your eggs aren't fertilized yet, I doubt the duck will go broody at all, and then you end up with a huge clutch of eggs that have been sitting in the sun for a week! So again, I'd collect your duck eggs until she starts using the nest and trying to hide eggs from you there. You can check for fertility, either by cracking the egg open and looking for the "bullseye" coloration in the yoke, or by candling it; if it's clear the egg is unfertilized, cloudy = fertility.

Lastly I would put the nest somewhere more convenient for you. Also it should be set up against something, providing a back and/or roof for your nest will give your girl some privacy and make her more likely to use it. Make sure you have extra deep bedding/nesting material in it, so she can build it up herself and make it truly comfortable. You can also try keeping dummy eggs in the nest for now, to encourage her to set/use it without your real eggs going bad.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for all the helpful info. I currently have two ducks that have pale beaks (they were like that when I purchased them) I did notice that one does sit and lay there way more than the others. I noticed this about a week or two ago. I will definitely keep an eye on the mating and dummy eggs sounds like I good idea. I will try it.
Thank you again!

Back
Top Bottom