Pekin x Cayuga Ducklings

becky3086

Crested Crazy
11 Years
Oct 14, 2008
Thomson, GA
I recently got some eggs from Chickie Mamma and hatched out 8 duckling.
celebrate.gif
They are from a flock of pekin and cayuga running together. Chickie Mamma said that all the chicks she had ever hatched from them were yellow, black, or black with a yellow breast. I got 6 yellow, 1 black and this duckling:

17106_little_brown_duckling.jpg

I guess, I am just curious, do you get this beautiful brown anytime you mix pekin x cayuga? He even has brown feet and legs.

Just had this duckling hatch tonight. Only females we have are 2 Cayuga. The father possibilities are pekin, Cayuga, or khaki campbell BUT the only drake running with the ladies was the pekin. We had separated the drakes because they were overbreeding our girls. Thoughts? The bill and feet are pretty interesting.

Attachments

• BC1D161B-C3D4-4A8D-B547-2D73766C5253.jpeg
    BC1D161B-C3D4-4A8D-B547-2D73766C5253.jpeg
    423.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 39E4925E-A62C-4356-B7DF-2E0E043575E2.jpeg
    39E4925E-A62C-4356-B7DF-2E0E043575E2.jpeg
    604.5 KB · Views: 57
I will have to try and get a better picture. The majority of them are black with white across the neck. I few have white spots on the body and one had white streaks on the face.
Cayuga Duck crossed with Pekin Drake

Pekin are white & the gene for white is epistatic (dominant) over all other genes for colour when pure, so all other colours/patterns that they have are masked. Cayuga are black & may or may not be pure for the black gene (although pure bred birds should be)? Birds with the black gene will be black unless modifying genes (white pattern &/or diluters) are introduced, depending on state (recessive/dominant, homozygous/hemizygous, sex-linkage/male/female). To get white ducklings from a black (pure) x white the black must have the recessive white gene hidden. Otherwise all ducklings could be black, or diluted/white patterned black (bibbed/pied/blue/choc etc), or even wild-type (modified?) for example. In other words, you could get just about anything all dependent upon what the white & black have hidden, purety, sex [linkage], etc.

I'm a newbie with ducks and just got 4 adorable little ducks. Just got them today and they look nothing like the pic posted at the beginning of the thread. We put them in a water trough until they are a bit bigger, then will put them out with the chickens. To many Coyotes here to let them just free range, but we fenced in the old horse shade from top to bottom, so there is lots of room. Right now they are just having a hay day in the cake pan.. DH just went to get a small kitty litter box for them. Hate going to the feed store, always come back with some kind of baby. Today it was the ducklings and a lionhead/lop eared bunny..... :)

Back
Top Bottom