pellets

stilltexx

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 4, 2013
chickens wont eat pellets unless i grind them up. Is there a different food that will work

Crumbles are an alternative. That's all I use because my girls won't eat pellets. I hang the feeder about 6" off the ground so there is little waste. If the feeder is on the ground they will scratch in it and scatter the feed all around the run.

Ken

Last edited:
Mine don't like pellets either, next time you buy them just ask for it as a crumble. Its the same thing already ground for you.

How old are they? If only young or bantams they often don't like pellets but keep offering on the side or some mixed in and they may eventually get the hang of it :).

Crumb is the next option, honestly though change usually goes over like a wet hen lol so give it some time, what were they on before? blending of new foods is important.

All my chickens(exception being some chicks, there on starter crumb) are on a pellet grower.. they adapted to the change from a crumb just fine, and several are bantams we have silkies.

well thank you all i have 100 pounds of pellets so i guess i am going to grind for now.

i agree with bear foot farm...offer the pellets as they come int the bag dont grind them and they will eat them...they wont starve themselves with food right there for them.

my 5 cochins were a bit picky about switching to pellets but the day i ran out of crumbles i gave them pellets and even though they weren't thrilled at first i didn't give into them and they now like their more then crumbles and with pellets they waste less

They WILL eat those pellets if that is all you give them.
They won't starve themselves
You just have to be more patient than the chickens
This.
I absolutely guarantee you your birds will not starve themselves to death with food available. They're like kids, they may fuss and miss a meal or two, but if that's what you've got and that's what they need to eat, then so be it.

Just switched from crumbles to pellets and the girls were none to happy with me, only reason was less powder in the feeder, they have built themselves a bridge and got over it they are eating the pellets just fine now.

Back
Top Bottom