Pendulous crop?

Well, Ruby wasn’t so hot this morning. Crop was a bit fuller and firmer than yesterday morning. Administered 1cc of clotrimazoleb(minus what she shook off) and a little spicy lemon juice. She’s in jail with apple cider vinegar water and her meal is egg, chicken and kale put through the blender, scrambled, and mixed with 1/2 tsp probiotic and a little yogurt.
I tried on the crop bra with the longer straps. It fits better, but she is soooo skinny and just stands there like she’s dying when I put it on. I took it off again. May go up at lunch and try again, especially since I’ll need to administer the clotrimazole anyway.

Is there any harm in treating for both yeast and clogging/impaction at the same time?

Last edited:
Does her breath smell sour?
You are throwing everything you can at her.
Maybe take a step back and just give the Clotrimazole for a couple of days to see if that works.
Plenty of plain fresh water, her normal feed and some scrambled egg for a treat.
Go back to the basics.

Just my 2¢
Thanks. She does seem to do well with plain water. Since she’s on the Clotrimazole anyway, I’ll swap the water back out to plain at lunch and she hasn’t been eating her special meal, I’ll scramble her some fresh egg.

So there isn’t much laying going on right now. How many eggs a day would the right amount to sustain Ruby? I’m still inclined to leave her off yeast feeding foods.

She does not have an obvious smell, but I’ll give her a good whiff BEFORE I torture her with syringing.

Sigh. More poor little Ruby. She’s still acting normal, but seems to be starving.

Thanks. She does seem to do well with plain water. Since she’s on the Clotrimazole anyway, I’ll swap the water back out to plain at lunch and she hasn’t been eating her special meal, I’ll scramble her some fresh egg.

So there isn’t much laying going on right now. How many eggs a day would the right amount to sustain Ruby? I’m still inclined to leave her off yeast feeding foods.

She does not have an obvious smell, but I’ll give her a good whiff BEFORE I torture her with syringing.

Sigh. More poor little Ruby. She’s still acting normal, but seems to be starving.
Do you consider her normal feed a "yeast feeding food"?
Other's may have a different perspective, but unless I'm withholding feed for a certain amount of time (no food at all), I always make their normal feed available regardless of what is wrong:confused:

Do you consider her normal feed a "yeast feeding food"?
Other's may have a different perspective, but unless I'm withholding feed for a certain amount of time (no food at all), I always make their normal feed available regardless of what is wrong:confused:

Yes, per @TwoCrows. However, when I ran up the hill, she had not eaten. Gave her fresh water, feed, and scrambled egg. I gave her 1cc of the Clotrimazole and sniffed her beforehand. Yes, she smells a little bit like fruit. It’s not a bad smell. Not yet, anyway. She had had vinegar in her water all morning, however.

So I just washed out the little bowl that had the lemon, cayenne and cinnamon. I think that is actually what I smelled on Ruby earlier, as it smelled fruity (citrus plus the sweet from the cinnamon).

She didn’t eat much egg after lunch, but I think she ate feed. The girls have already gone to bed, but I’ll head in there and feel Ruby’s crop in a bit.

So she had the Clotrimazole at about 7:00am and 1:00pm. 5:15am seemed too early for another dose. Should I dose her again tonight anyway? I’d have to take her down from the roost. I want to try the crop bra again, but may wait for the morning. She’s roosting at the far side of the coop. I don’t mind climbing in there to feel/massage her crop, but to take her out would be a pain for me and stressful for her.

Last edited:
132C2283-8975-44D5-9447-10604B44C277.jpeg
OMG!!! Am I using the right stuff??? I do not like the sound of these inactive ingredients:
• benzyl alcohol
• cetostearyl alcohol
• cetyl esters wax
• 2-octyldodecanol
• polysorbate-60
• purified water
• sorbitan monostearate

So I just washed out the little bowl that had the lemon, cayenne and cinnamon. I think that is actually what I smelled on Ruby earlier, as it smelled fruity (citrus plus the sweet from the cinnamon).

She didn’t eat much egg after lunch, but I think she ate feed. The girls have already gone to bed, but I’ll head in there and feel Ruby’s crop in a bit.

So she had the Clotrimazole at about 7:00am and 1:00pm. 5:15om seemed too early for another dose. Should I dose her again tonight anyway? I’d have to take her down from the roost. I want to try the crop bra again, but may wait for the morning. She’s roosting at the far side of the coop. I don’t mind climbing in there to feel/massage her crop, but to take her out would be a pain for me and stressful for her.

View attachment 1582711 OMG!!! Am I using the right stuff??? I do not like the sound of these inactive ingredients:
• benzyl alcohol
• cetostearyl alcohol
• cetyl esters wax
• 2-octyldodecanol
• polysorbate-60
• purified water
• sorbitan monostearate
I would wait until morning to give her more since she has already gone to roost.
Check the crop in the morning and see how she is.

TwoCrows or Azygous can tell you if that's the correct stuff to give.

Yeah, I’m letting her rest/sleep. I’ll check her in the morning. I wish I weren’t so whimpy... she acts so pathetic when I put the crop bra on, but I think it might help. She literally stands there like a lightweight statue that can blow right over.

Edited to add: My point is that I keep getting scared and taking it off.

In @TwoCrows article, she does say the 2% stuff, so it’s probably ok. I hope. I chose what sounded like the strongest OTC med.

Anyway, I’m going to get up early so I’m sure I’m getting to her before she eats feathers or bedding. We’ve had feathers since July and two girls haven’t even started molting yet.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom