Pendulous crop?

LOL Is her crop pendulous?

Great question. When it's full, it does seem to sway a bit (see video earlier in thread). It sits a little low. However, it has not been huge and hanging in the morning, but mostly after she fills it up with fluid. I checked her crop along with some others last night at roosting time, and there was nothing noteworthy. Ruby's crop was soft and medium full. A couple of the other girls had fuller, firmer crops. (Poor Margo's was completely empty... she's having a repeat of last year... second molt is on her head and here and there on her body). I would say it's on it's way to becoming pendulous if I don't get a handle on this soon, but not sure we are there yet.

Hubby woke me having a nightmare (LOL) and with the time change, I've been up since 4:40am, so I don't see any reason I can't get out there an feel Ruby's crop before she has any opportunity to eat bedding or feathers.

OK, so here’s the deal on Ruby this morning. I was able to feel her crop before she got off the roost. There was a small, maybe the size of a nickel, soft, pliable ball in her crop. That was all.
When they came out of the coop, she immediately started picking up little bits of bedding off the run floor. I scooped her up and administered 1mL of the Clotrimazole. She was a little more compliant this morning. LOL! Immediately afterward, she pooped this foul smelling stuff. It had something light colored in it, can’t tell if it’s urates, egg, or that cheesy, yeasty stuff they talk about in articles. I let her run around for just a few seconds, and then put her back in jail. Keep in mind it’s hard to keep jail one hundred percent bedding free. However I can keep the feathers out of there for the most part, and minimize the bedding. I am hoping the anti-yeast measures are working, and think she definitely does not need a crop bra right now. Gonna make her an egg and I’m feeling hopeful!

Oops. Forgot the poop pic.
4A2959DB-B910-4B2E-9BA3-667816AF1777.jpeg

At lunch Ruby had eaten some egg, all her kale, and a good amount of feed. It seems her appetite for real food is back (along with her addiction to feathers and bedding). :rolleyes: She hadn’t touched the lemon yogurt.

Dosed her with Clotrimazole and will again at bed time (which is only in about 4 1/2 hours from now).

Things are pretty chill/calm in the run, so she’s not missing out on too much. She literally has friends on all sides except the one touching the outside run wall. :)

Ruby's sour crop could have a fishy odor, depending on the combination of things she's eaten.

Sour crop smells more like sauerkraut, that is, when it is serious enough to have an odor. I've only had a single case of smelly sour crop, and it was associated with impacted crop. We're talking major plumbing clog.

It was a few years back with a Cream Legbar that put me to the test a couple times with serious bacterial infections, then managed to eat herself into a major impacted crop so large and hard, it looked like she had swallowed another chicken. She managed to survive that, too, and she's a healthy four-year old now.

At lunch Ruby had eaten some egg, all her kale, and a good amount of feed. It seems her appetite for real food is back (along with her addiction to feathers and bedding). :rolleyes: She hadn’t touched the lemon yogurt.

Dosed her with Clotrimazole and will again at bed time (which is only in about 4 1/2 hours from now).

Things are pretty chill/calm in the run, so she’s not missing out on too much. She literally has friends on all sides except the one touching the outside run wall. :)
Might I suggest mixing the yogurt with some of her feed? It’s definitely less messy that way, and my girls love it!

Ruby's sour crop could have a fishy odor, depending on the combination of things she's eaten.

Sour crop smells more like sauerkraut, that is, when it is serious enough to have an odor. I've only had a single case of smelly sour crop, and it was associated with impacted crop. We're talking major plumbing clog.

It was a few years back with a Cream Legbar that put me to the test a couple times with serious bacterial infections, then managed to eat herself into a major impacted crop so large and hard, it looked like she had swallowed another chicken. She managed to survive that, too, and she's a healthy four-year old now.

Good to know! Sauerkraut is pickled cabbage, right?
I don’t want her to get so skinny she gets weak. Body language is still good, but she’s lost over 1/3 of her body weight. I’ll keep at it. :)

Back
Top Bottom