Pendulous crop?

I don't like to isolate because the flock gets weird on separated birds. LOL So keep her in the flock. They've all been exposed at this point.

Stop with the oils, they are very hard to digest. Massaging the crop without adding something doesn't do much in killing off the yeast. So add things to it before a massage....1 teaspoon lemon juice along with 1/16 teaspoon of Cayanne pepper and a bit of ACV. Nothing lives in any of theses. Massage in well. You can use vaginal creams too, 1ml under the tongue 3 times a day. Yeast busting foods like greens, broccoli slaw, apples, go easy on layer feed for a while as its loaded with carbos that feed yeasts.

All this will help start the process until you get the Copper started. Even then, I would syringe these things along with Copper water and a good massage. The yeast should be down to a dull roar with the week. Afterwards I would continue with Probiotics and ACV for several weeks, yeasts take a very long time to completely destroy even though you see no signs of them.

I don't like to isolate because the flock gets weird on separated birds. LOL So keep her in the flock. They've all been exposed at this point.

Stop with the oils, they are very hard to digest. Massaging the crop without adding something doesn't do much in killing off the yeast. So add things to it before a massage....1 teaspoon lemon juice along with 1/16 teaspoon of Cayanne pepper and a bit of ACV. Nothing lives in any of theses. Massage in well. You can use vaginal creams too, 1ml under the tongue 3 times a day. Yeast busting foods like greens, broccoli slaw, apples, go easy on layer feed for a while as its loaded with carbos that feed yeasts.

All this will help start the process until you get the Copper started. Even then, I would syringe these things along with Copper water and a good massage. The yeast should be down to a dull roar with the week. Afterwards I would continue with Probiotics and ACV for several weeks, yeasts take a very long time to completely destroy even though you see no signs of them.

Thank you so much! Ruby is mostly ignoring feed and favoring greens, but they only get an hour to free range, so she’s somewhat starving. I may throw some kale in for them tomorrow.

Last edited:
@TwoCrows, does that video look like a pendulous crop? I didn’t do anything for her tonight. No massage. Nothing. But I just picked up lemon juice for the morning and the acidified copper sulfate has shipped. I don’t have narrow syringes for syringing the lemon juice, but I will try syringing drops to the beak. What are your thoughts on yogurt?

Last edited:
@TwoCrows, does that video look like a pendulous crop? I didn’t do anything for her tonight. No massage. Nothing. But I just picked up lemon juice for the morning and the acidified copper sulfate has shipped. I don’t have narrow syringes forcsyringing the lemon juice, but I will try syringing drops to the beak. What are your thoughts on yogurt?

When referring to pendulous, its usually set aside for birds with long long running isses that has caused the crop to become so over stretched it never returns to a normal state. If this has only been going on for a short period of time, sure the crop is bloated and hanging, but its not yet considered "pendulous".

BUT, yes, she's got a big ol crop!! However she sure is going to town on the scratching and feels good, a huge plus to getting her healed!

You might make some scrambled eggs or even a plate of her favorite greens and drizzle the Lemon Juice? Yes, "plain" only yogurt is great for yeasty crops. (No yogurts with any sugars at all.) Put Lemon juice in the yogurt too.

You can get 1ml syringes for free at any pharmacy. They are wonderful for getting liquid under the tongue because you can suck up .3 or .4 mls and it goes in easily without aspirating the bird.

This morning Ruby’s crop wasn’t huge, but wasn’t empty. I put out (spread out across three different locations so nobody was bullied away from it) plain yogurt (enough for about 1.5 tablespoons per bird mixed with 1 teaspoon per bird of lemon juice) before I left. Ruby was definitely eating it, and when she’d get chased from one spot, she moved to another. I hope this helps while I wait for the acidified copper sulfate to arrive. I may run up the hill at lunch and massage her a bit.

This morning Ruby’s crop wasn’t huge, but wasn’t empty. I put out (spread out across three different locations so nobody was bullied away from it) plain yogurt (enough for about 1.5 tablespoons per bird mixed with 1 teaspoon per bird of lemon juice) before I left. Ruby was definitely eating it, and when she’d get chased from one spot, she moved to another. I hope this helps while I wait for the acidified copper sulfate to arrive. I may run up the hill at lunch and massage her a bit.

The Rubester looked good at lunch! I tried to administer more lemon juice, but most of it went flying everywhere. She did get several drops, along with crop massage. I think the yogurt and lemon is going to help.

Great job! Just do your best, if you keep throwing anti yeast foods at her, hopefully eventually you can beat this thing!

Yeasts have been very bad this year. Warm hot humid weather get them multiplying out of control. Fall is a when birds turn up with these things. SO many cases here on BYC this month alone.

Keep up the great job!

I let the girls range and Ruby (along with everyone else) got lots of greens (plus bugs, seeds, or whatever else they are finding). Ruby was running across the yard with a prize of some kind in her beak with Bagheera in hot pursuit. My guess is a potato bug.
Anyway, Ruby drank a fair bit (excessively?) before bed, so I was afraid to massage her crop for fear of aspirating her. I’ll do the yogurt/lemon thing again in the morning. Oh no! I just remembered that I left the kale I picked up in the fridge at work... may run out for some in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom