Pendulous crop?

No metal waterers with Copper Sulfate or Apple Cider Vinegar, plastic only. 1/4 teaspoon Copper to 1 gallon of water. Make a new batch daily and use for 7 to 10 days. No other liquids but the Copper.

Use a stiff material when making a crop bra. Cotton is not supportive enough, so get creative. Cut a 4x4 inch square and attach elastic on both sides as in an H pattern. Put the H right over the crop, top right strap goes over the shoulder and back, lower left goes under the wing and up over the back, these 2 are tied together. Same with the other side. Don't make it too tight, but tight enough to support the crop and not fall off, a medium tight. Some birds need time to get used to wearing clothing so you may need to start it really loose the first day. Next day tighten it up. But dont let her roost with a loose bra so she doesn't entangle herself. Tighten as much as she can tolerate, still supports but doesn't cut off breathing or circulation. You will find that sweet spot.
Thanks for your guidance. So by stiff fabric, you mean a non-stretch fabric, right? Not an athletic sock, but something more like denim?

Hello. Ruby has had mild crop issues lately, and I have been unable to tend to her properly, since I wasn’t home much. Last night before bed, I thought her crop looked “low” and massaged it a bit before roost. Checked again this morning before she got off the roost, and noticed it does seem a little “flopped over”. It isn’t all that big, however. Can a crop be pendulous even if it isn’t big? I massaged and gently lifted it before I left for work. I will continue the massage & lift each morning and evening, but am gone from home ten hours each day. Anything else I should be doing at this time? She’s molting, so I’d prefer not to do crop bra, but will if I need to. Her behavior is perky and active. She’s thin right now and favors greens over feed, but I think that is molt related. Isolating is also not my favorite idea, as she does not tolerate confinement very well. (She’s the one who paces the run walls, but she is also low in the pecking order). Thoughts? What are the chances of this resolving without a crop bra? Thanks in advance.
@azygous @Wyorp Rock @TwoCrows

I've read that Pen. CROP treatment include 72hrs water therapy
& Crop Bra ..

Thanks for your guidance. So by stiff fabric, you mean a non-stretch fabric, right? Not an athletic sock, but something more like denim?

Denim should work well as you don't want stretchy on the pad itself, only the straps holding it.

Also, if the firm nugget is compaction, is a crop bra bad for that? I guess I’ll feel her this morning and figure it out from there, but she’s had a small, persistent nugget and a hanging/low crop that isn’t always huge.

Has she been wormed recently? Sometimes an overload of worms can back up a crop, however if her comb is bright red and she is outside digging to China, chances are she's not sick with anything. (Just some thoughts here.)

Since it’s Saturday and I don’t need to rush to work, I am sitting inside the chicken run to observe. Ruby is seeking out leaves to eat. She also has intermittent periods of this, standing fluffed with eyes closed and favoring a foot.
000E0433-3ECD-4550-B385-EC1DB97EE235.jpeg

She clearly doesn’t feel well. I haven’t seen her do this until today, but it’s possible she has during the week while I’m at work.

Denim should work well as you don't want stretchy on the pad itself, only the straps holding it.

Has she been wormed recently? Sometimes an overload of worms can back up a crop, however if her comb is bright red and she is outside digging to China, chances are she's not sick with anything. (Just some thoughts here.)

Got a fecal float recently that came back negative, but it wasn’t the freshest. Her crop is a bit firm, but not huge this morning. Should I massage it gently? She is drinking the copper water, though not excessively.

I massaged her crop gently for a little bit she was hovering near me which was kind of cute. I decided to let them run around to see how she behaves in the field. As soon as I opened the gate, she ran over to my neighbors yard and started scratching.

I’m not freaking out yet, because Bridge did this one day recently. Margo was doing terrible body language and ended up needing antibiotics. But I’m hoping since I’ve started the copper Ruby might start showing improvement in a couple days.

Ok, one more thought. Again along the lines of Mother Nature knowing best. Ruby is active today outside the pen. She did sit in a dirt ditch at one point, but did not appear to be dust bathing. One day recently, I think the day I went home at lunch, Ruby was sitting in a ditch when I got home. Do you think she could be sitting in there to support her crop? That would be some pretty amazing instinct!

Oh, crap. I just realize the copper wasn’t properly dissolved into the water, which means it’s concentrated at the bottom, and Ruby has been drinking it. Is that a problem? Should I redo all the waterers?

Edited to add: I just emptied the little red part on the bottom, shook up the bottle, and turned it back upright.

Back
Top Bottom