Pendulous crop?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by micstrachan, Oct 23, 2018.

1. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

Ruby update:
    She did great over the weekend, as she had lots of free range time and always perks up for that.) Crop is not emptying properly, but it’s partially functioning. Started the flock on acidified copper sulfate water on Saturday. They do NOT like it. Yesterday Ruby got into my neighbor’s cat water, which he then turned over because the raccoons had been in it. Yuck. Today when I got home from work, several of the girls bee lined for my neighbor’s yard. Ruby went STRAIGHT for the cat water again. (I discovered that after she had a fair bit to drink.) Ugh! However, afterward I did see her drink quite a bit from the copper water. I’ll keep at it. I saw a couple of them drink it, so maybe they’re getting used to it. They tolerate it better when it’s freshly mixed and like it less when it’s been sitting (and is therefore more concentrated at the bottom.)
    Ruby feels SUPER thin and light, but I’m hoping that’s just because of molt.
    Nothing more to say on Ruby right now. I’ll update if there is a change. Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  2. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

In case anyone wants to offer thoughts, Ruby’s crop is still not emptying properly. I would not say it’s getting worse, but it doesn’t seem to be getting better. They’ve been on the copper water for five days, but Ruby keeps getting into other water during free range time (tonight I was watering the yard and she was drinking from puddles). However, I have also seen her drink the blue copper water. I will continue the treatment through the weekend. I never did try to fit a crop bra, as I’m not sure it’s pendulous... just not emptying properly. If the acidified copper sulfate doesn’t clear her crop, I might try oil and massage (even though @TwoCrows advised against it), only because I SAW her eat feathers one morning recently and the oil with massage seemed to help my other feather eater, Millie, when she seemed backed up. I guess it depends on whether there is still a firm mass. Starting to worry a little more... unless it’s normal to take this long to clear? I checked my old posts and Ruby was having crop issues as far back as Oct. 13th, so it’s been a couple weeks. Thoughts?

3. Cragg Klefor

Cragg Klefor Crowing

Apr 14, 2017
    County Kilkenny, Ireland
    A few weeks ago, after exhausting other methods, i treated a chicken with the acidified copper solution (pendulous crop not emptying , turned sour) . It cleared on day 5, i saw out the 7 days and the chicken has had no problems since.

TwoCrows and micstrachan like this.
  4. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

Thank you. That’s reassuring. Today they’ll not get any free range time, since I have a board meeting and will get home late. With the time change coming this weekend, they aren’t going to get any free range time during the work week, which is why I’ve allowed it, even though it’s difficult to keep Ruby out of other water (it’s only about an hour after work, anyway, but Ruby pigs out on any other water she can find). I may go a full 10-day course instead of seven, as I will not likely have the heart to keep them from free ranging over the weekend.
    I have a surprise for them today, though. Rice hulls!! Since they don’t get to free range today and I want them staying busy and exercising, I saved a big bag of rice hulls for today. They will scratch in it all day long. The rice itself isn’t super nutritious and I’m sure doesn’t help yeast, but they might be thirsty and will only have copper water available.

5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Sounds like she doesn't want to drink the Acidified Copper Sulfate water.
    If that's what you really want her to do is drink the water, then you have no choice but to cage her and make only that water available.
    Give her wet feed only and no treats at all! Adding treats, grass, ranging, etc. you're just compounding the problem if she does have a crop problem.
    Oil once a day and massage.

Of course, she may just refuse to drink period - if she is not drinking, then that no good either.

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Bird is the word

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Definitely no other water source, not even puddles. They must ingest as much as possible of the Copper, I even like to syringe a tablespoon or so of the Copper water down there and massage it into the yeasts a couple times a day. Keep using it for 10 days.

Feather eaters are prone to clogging up the gizzard, its a horrible habit that I personally hate. :lol:

micstrachan likes this.
  7. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

Ok, thanks. I guess I need to step it up and do tough love with Ruby. I HAVE seen her drink heartily at the copper water a couple nights after I turned it over and shook it back up.

You might be rolling your eyes at this, but I can hardly stand the cuteness...

06049C84-A3F4-4DC8-8357-F148578DBD0B.jpeg

TwoCrows likes this.
  8. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Bird is the word

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    They sure are enjoying that pile!

micstrachan likes this.
  9. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

I’m starting to feel a little panicky about Ruby. She feels super skinny like Rusty did shen she had EYP.

I’m thinking this is an impaction and not necessarily yeast. I don’t want to be wishy washy and willl see the copper treatment through. But I am also implementing oil and more massage. Ruby won’t stop eating feathers, so tomorrow she’ll be crated, which is a huge bummer, as she hates confinement and acts completely normal when I let her free range. Not only that, but with the time change this weekend, there will be no more miid-week free ranging, as I’ll get home from work after dark. The run looks like a pillow fight, so poor Ruby is screwed and might be confined for some time. I had her in the grow out coop as soon as I saw her eating feathers after work, but it’s even hard to keep the feathers out of there (plus, I think Ruby is still dropping feathers of her own).

So what’s the largest recommended syringe for getting fluid past the windpipe and into the crop? I ordered 1mL syringes, but that’s a pretty tiny volume. And, of course, I’m a little scared to syringe her, but will buck up and do it if she needs it.

I’m thinking of only providing liquid food for her tomorrow (yogurt, apple sauce, raw egg). Thoughts? Would it be good to purée kale?

I also read that some people swear by papaya for a slow crop. Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!!!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    TwoCrows likes this.
  10. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I would use the 1ml syringes unless you have tubing in the sizes that Kathy recommends.

If you have to, cage her on puppy pads - that will hopefully eliminate most of her access to feathers and bedding to eat.

Molting birds also feel super skinny at times, when was the last time you weighed her?

How many days has she had the Acidified Copper Sulfate? If at least 3 days, then you are probably good on that. But it's up to you if you want to make it available for more days.
    If she is not drinking it, then she's not staying hydrated either, so that's something to consider.
    Personally, I would just make wet feed available and let her have something soft for a treat. Scrambled egg is my go to for that. Applesauce in a very small amount is good for constipation. But I would focus on keeping her on her nutritionally balanced feed as much as possible.

Don't know a thing about Papaya :confused:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: