Pendulous crop?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by micstrachan, Oct 23, 2018.

1. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

Ruby still had a firm nugget in her crop this morning, which I worked a little. Overall, her crop was not large, however. I put out the yogurt with lemon again, but they weren’t nearly as interested in it as yesterday. Also put out a bunch of chopped kale. Since we have at least some green all year, I don’t typically put produce in the run, so they were a little unsure. Once the days are so short it’s too dark to range once I get home from work, I do tend to sprout wheat berries for them, which they love (they are SUPER sweet, like candy, though, so I might rethink that if it feeds yeast).

I wish the copper would arrive soon.

So... if the firm nugget is an impaction and not yeast, it does seem like oil would help. I’m holding off for now since overall Ruby still seems in good health (though she’s usually pretty lean and now feels downright skinny... it’s molt, so hard to know the reason).

I’ve been thinking a lot about something @rebrascora mentioned recently... something along the lines of “We think we know best, but Mother Nature has it nailed.” (my words/interpretation, not hers). In the wild, chickens would eat what they want and possibly self-treat. In an enclosed coop and run, they are at the mercy of what we provide. I’m really trying to wrap my head around this and further consider how best to serve and care for them. I’m still not willing to allow unsupervised free ranging (which I know is still a risk, but feel it’s worth the risk as chickens have to be chickens and they are so happy running around the yard!) However, I do wonder how I can make their run more “natural.” I guess it’s a compromise. If only I could make a giant aviary along with trees and shrubs inside! :)

I just wonder if these crop issues were less prominent if they had more freedom. But I am also aware crop issues can be symptoms of other issues and Ruby hasn’t laid in months. Time will tell, I guess. Thanks for letting me ramble.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Bird is the word

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Sometimes but not always, crop issues stem from something else going on in the body. Impactions tend to continue to grow in the crop because stuff is just not moving. A doughy crop can be kneaded like bread. (If you add liquid to the crop and squeeze the mass, if it is pliable like bread dough or silly putty, it's a doughy crop. Impactions never go soft, they are hard all the time no matter what you do to them, including hydrating it with water or oil.)

Usually Twin Cities sends things out Priority, hopefully you get it soon.

micstrachan likes this.
  3. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

Thanks for clarifying about impaction. Honestly, I’m a little concerned about inflaming the interior of her crop by messing with it too much.

TwoCrows likes this.
  4. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I wouldn't over massage it. The heart is directly behind the crop, a couple quick massages a day is enough.

micstrachan likes this.
  5. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

So is there a crop bra that can be purchased? I think Ruby needs one. Her crop is low, but it isn’t huge. It is visibly lower than the others.
    And then there’s this girl, Bagheera, whose crop looks HUGE, but will be completely empty in the morning. This girl is amazing and should be nick named Wonder Woman. She is 2 1/2 and has NEVER molted nor ever stopped laying. She’s amazing! Her feathers are super ratty, I guess because she expends her energy on eggs instead of feathers.
    7E5DA5B3-AE19-49B8-8745-8FA3473AFC94.jpeg

TwoCrows likes this.
  6. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Yeah, I've had birds with enormous crops that you are sure will never empty and sure enough are completely dry by morning! Pretty bird. :)

I got my crop bras from hensaver.com They will ask for dementions, get 4"x4" if the bird is of standard size breed. They are hand made and can take several weeks to be delivered.

micstrachan likes this.
  7. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

So excited! Look what’s here! I didn’t notice it when I walked in earlier...
    AA4F391E-9F99-45BF-831C-4D7BFBC833B0.jpeg
    44E0EBFF-5BB6-4A82-8897-C6495130D585.jpeg

TwoCrows likes this.
  8. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

In that case, I can make something faster. :)

Thanks! You should have seen her her first year when her feathers were all shiny jet black with green shimmer! She’s pretty cool. Plucks Margo’s back and is bossy, but loves to cuddle up close and look me in the eye. Love her!

TwoCrows likes this.
  9. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

I just made my way into the upper level of the coop where Ruby sleeps and gently massaged her. When I touch her crop, she tipped back a little and stood up super tall. I can’t tell if she gets off balance on the roost or if she’s jolting to prevent aspiration (or something else). Will treat all the water first thing in the morning. Do I need to remove the metal waterers for now? I think I also want to try a sock crop bra tomorrow, at least at roosting time.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    TwoCrows likes this.
  10. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    No metal waterers with Copper Sulfate or Apple Cider Vinegar, plastic only. 1/4 teaspoon Copper to 1 gallon of water. Make a new batch daily and use for 7 to 10 days. No other liquids but the Copper.

Use a stiff material when making a crop bra. Cotton is not supportive enough, so get creative. Cut a 4x4 inch square and attach elastic on both sides as in an H pattern. Put the H right over the crop, top right strap goes over the shoulder and back, lower left goes under the wing and up over the back, these 2 are tied together. Same with the other side. Don't make it too tight, but tight enough to support the crop and not fall off, a medium tight. Some birds need time to get used to wearing clothing so you may need to start it really loose the first day. Next day tighten it up. But dont let her roost with a loose bra so she doesn't entangle herself. Tighten as much as she can tolerate, still supports but doesn't cut off breathing or circulation. You will find that sweet spot.

micstrachan likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: