Perch width, what’s the science?

Pics
Just FYI: The action of gripping a perch is called tenodesis. You can see it in yourself by holding your arm with elbow bent 90*, forearm parallel to the floor, and wrist dropping down in a natural resting position. Note that your fingers are flexed a little bit. Now, extend your wrist back, and note that your fingers have a natural tendency to curl.

Birds were created to maximize their functional use of tenodesis. When a bird rests on a perch, the weight through her shanks causes the toes to curl around the roost. This allows her to sleep without falling off her perch. Of course she also has voluntary control of those foot muscles.
I've read that the foot locks in the curled position. Is this correct?
I've tried to pull a chicken off a tree branch during the night, gently of course. She didn't want to let go. However, by putting slight pressure on the back of her leg, between the knee and ankle, a reflex action takes over and the foot unlocked.

I've read that the foot locks in the curled position. Is this correct?
I've tried to pull a chicken off a tree branch during the night, gently of course. She didn't want to let go. However, by putting slight pressure on the back of her leg, between the knee and ankle, a reflex action takes over and the foot unlocked.

I think it would be something like this... note that the quote and diagram are not discussing chickens specifically:

"The bird's foot closes and grasps automatically as the ankle and knee joints are bent. This grasp cannot be released until the limb is straightened again."

anatomy-bird-of-prey-zygodactyl-feet-googleda-ara-foot-birds-on-human.jpg

Image represents perching birds, not galliaformes that includes chickens. Chickens and their kin are very different from most other birds.
I think it would be something like this... note that the quote and diagram are not discussing chickens specifically:

"The bird's foot closes and grasps automatically as the ankle and knee joints are bent. This grasp cannot be released until the limb is straightened again."

anatomy-bird-of-prey-zygodactyl-feet-googleda-ara-foot-birds-on-human.jpg

This made the front page? Six pages of roost...Way back in the day, the old salts of the chicken world (USA) believed you must have a certain kind of roost or your chickens (meat birds) run the risks of having an undesirable chest development and structure. There isn't any science behind this that I can find...Some say you need a roost 'This high' or 'This low', again...no validated science behind it other than personal opinion, perspective, and individualized experiences. Doesn't make it a wrong or bad choice, it should be what your birds prefer...not what you prefer should be the philosophy. They will let you know if you actually want to listen to them. Use what you want, do what works for your flock.

Back
Top Bottom