Pics

ShrekDawg

You are loved.
Premium Feather Member
16 Years
Jan 18, 2008
SE Massachusetts
Who here does a sport with their dogs? I've always wanted to do them but Gator's too old and sick now and slightly dog reactive. I might try to see if brother and FSIL would let me do one with Libby though or I'll just wait till my next dog, probably either a Golden or an Aussie.

Anyway, anyone have any advice, pictures, videos, stories, etc.?

I would most likely be doing agility, nosework, rally, and dockdiving and possibly tracking or regular obedience. And of course tricks. But any sport is welcome. I also love the protection sports. Herding dogs. I guess it doesn't have to just be a sport, hunting or herding or dog sledding or whatever you do with your dogs is cool too. Speaking of which, I might also try bikejoring or skijoring if the dog's big enough.

Well, you know about me and the beagle field trials. We have also obedience trained all of our 'house' dogs and have competed in obedience trials. Rally looks like fun as is obedience or agility. I think that both UKC and AKC now allow non purebred dogs to compete.

Do you breed the beagles or just hunt them? That sounds fun. As weird as it sounds, I like doing obedience stuff and it can be fun but I wasn't sure if obedience or even rally trials would be stuffy or boring at all haha we might just dabble in those, depending on if I like it or not. But I think the most fun will be agility and nosework. Have you ever done the CGC? Was thinking of trying to pass that too and possibly the advanced or urban one.

Oh and yes they do allow mixed breeds to compete now but I am not sure if you have to register with a program or not. I think AKC has a program for mixed breeds but I'm not sure if that's required for entry or just for mixed breeds to get titles or what. I will have to look into it.

B507E503-B5FB-42CE-B539-615A45BD34E1.jpeg We have 2 mountain feists for squirrel hunting and have also worked with them for tracking wounded deer as well. They also make great companions and as a small/md shorthair breed are easily transportable!

View attachment 1528906 We have 2 mountain feists for squirrel hunting and have also worked with them for tracking wounded deer as well. They also make great companions and as a small/md shorthair breed are easily transportable!

That's awesome! They're adorable and I love the harness and name :)

I've done agility for years with 3 different dogs, I've dabbled in rally, nose work and barn hunt. I did obedience trials years ago before the other sports became popular. It is possible to do agility with someone else's dog, I know someone that was very successful with their neighbors lab, but it does require a lot of practice, so that makes it hard if you don't have the dog handy all the time. The AKC does allow mixed breed dogs to compete, you need to register, there are also other venues for agility that are a lot of fun. NADAC, CPE and USDAA all have always allowed mix breeds. I do NADAC and CPE. You might want to try a few classes with your brother's dog to see if you like it. You might love it, or a lot of people find out it is a lot of work and not their thing.

I've done agility for years with 3 different dogs, I've dabbled in rally, nose work and barn hunt. I did obedience trials years ago before the other sports became popular. It is possible to do agility with someone else's dog, I know someone that was very successful with their neighbors lab, but it does require a lot of practice, so that makes it hard if you don't have the dog handy all the time. The AKC does allow mixed breed dogs to compete, you need to register, there are also other venues for agility that are a lot of fun. NADAC, CPE and USDAA all have always allowed mix breeds. I do NADAC and CPE. You might want to try a few classes with your brother's dog to see if you like it. You might love it, or a lot of people find out it is a lot of work and not their thing.

Do you like the sports? Any you hated or don't think are worth it?

And thanks, I had never heard of those other organizations so I will look into it.

I think I'll also try with my brother's dog first

Do you like the sports? Any you hated or don't think are worth it?
I like all of them, but agility is my passion. Partly for the teamwork and bond you build with your dog, and partly for the friends I've made who share the passion. I think a lot depends on the dog you have, each dog I've owned has different strengths. Any dog can do any of those sports, provided they don't have physical issues that prevent them. One myth is that you need a high drive dog like a border collie to do agility. If you are extremely competitive, and want to always be "the best", well then a BC is usually a good choice. But not all BC's excel at it or have high drive, and those that do can be crazy to live with, unless you have lots of time and energy to keep them busy all the time. Myself, I prefer a biddable, medium drive dog, that is my pet first, and my competition dog second. I did competitions a couple of weekends a month, ( my dog is 12 and semi retired now) but I live with them 24/7/365. I always tell people, get a dog you can live with, and then try out different dog sports and see which one you and your dog are suited to. A LOT of people start taking classes and end up dropping out because it does require work. If you are a training junkie like me, then you'll find one that works for you. Lots of Aussies in agility, Goldens also can do very well, as do shelties and corgis. You don't need a working breed, however, lots of small breeds do well. Papillons can do extremely well, Pomeranians and Boston terriers as well. Lots of Jack Russels in agility. I met a chihuahua whose drive would put lots of dogs to shame. Go to a few trials and watch, and see what you think. One thing people don't realize about agility, is that it takes, on average, a good year to get a dog competition ready, and still longer to work your way up to the top levels and becoming a team. Nobody starts out looking like the dogs on TV.
For me, rally, nose work and barn hunt are things I did to keep my retired agility dogs minds and bodies busy when they couldn't do the jumping anymore. I like them, but not enough to really work at it. Although, I think my mutt (in my avatar) is going to be a good barn hunt dog.

I like all of them, but agility is my passion. Partly for the teamwork and bond you build with your dog, and partly for the friends I've made who share the passion. I think a lot depends on the dog you have, each dog I've owned has different strengths. Any dog can do any of those sports, provided they don't have physical issues that prevent them. One myth is that you need a high drive dog like a border collie to do agility. If you are extremely competitive, and want to always be "the best", well then a BC is usually a good choice. But not all BC's excel at it or have high drive, and those that do can be crazy to live with, unless you have lots of time and energy to keep them busy all the time. Myself, I prefer a biddable, medium drive dog, that is my pet first, and my competition dog second. I did competitions a couple of weekends a month, ( my dog is 12 and semi retired now) but I live with them 24/7/365. I always tell people, get a dog you can live with, and then try out different dog sports and see which one you and your dog are suited to. A LOT of people start taking classes and end up dropping out because it does require work. If you are a training junkie like me, then you'll find one that works for you. Lots of Aussies in agility, Goldens also can do very well, as do shelties and corgis. You don't need a working breed, however, lots of small breeds do well. Papillons can do extremely well, Pomeranians and Boston terriers as well. Lots of Jack Russels in agility. I met a chihuahua whose drive would put lots of dogs to shame. Go to a few trials and watch, and see what you think. One thing people don't realize about agility, is that it takes, on average, a good year to get a dog competition ready, and still longer to work your way up to the top levels and becoming a team. Nobody starts out looking like the dogs on TV.
For me, rally, nose work and barn hunt are things I did to keep my retired agility dogs minds and bodies busy when they couldn't do the jumping anymore. I like them, but not enough to really work at it. Although, I think my mutt (in my avatar) is going to be a good barn hunt dog.

Thanks for all the info, it's really helpful. I definitely love trianing but I do worry a tad that it might be too many sports lol I might just do agility and nosework. Idk. I can jump off docks and swim in lakes for free and rally, I downloaded an app with all the signs and videos of the exercises being done and WOW there are a lot of signs lol most of them are just variations of the same stuff, like heeling but just various turns, or sits and downs and stays, but still. Some are complicated lol maybe you never actually do all those exercises? Idk. Still seems like a lot to learn lol but we'll see. But yeah, I did read that it can take a while, nosework too. I assume agility is because you have to learn all the handling and ground skills, directionals, contacts, etc. Before you even hit the obstacles? And nosework is of course just practicing in varying locations, distractions, etc. Although I thought agility they really shouldn't jump until like 18 months old? At least competitively.

Anyway, I think I'm kind of similar to you. Just want a biddable, medium drive dog, or even lower, but also friendly. I want a pet first. Which is part of why I don't want a BC, not sure I could handle one though they seem amazing. Same with Malinois. And part of why I want to go with Golden instead of Aussie. At first I was like all Golden then I thought I finally decided on an Aussie and I really do think I could handle one and they are slightly more goofy than BCs but then two things happened. One, an older Golden in the neighborhood got loose and he was soooo sweet. I mean, brought him in the house and yard and had him for like two hours. Wasn't aggressive towards brother's dog. Second, I saw a breeder on a raw food company website of all places and they have a show/field litter coming up soon and the sire is like... the perfect dog based on his description. They're in lile Indiana or something though so idk if it'll happen. But that kinda made me think, if I can find the right Golden then I do think they are the right breed. Every single one I've ever met has been incredibly sweet. There are two in brother's neighborhood that are dog aggressive and attacked the neighbor's dog but I think that's breeding or training and they're still people friendly. Plus we've always had retrievers or retriever mixes and I do love retrievers. Although I'm sure Aussies are great dogs and have known a few great ones in those too.

Smaller dogs can definitely do really well in agility, even excel, I've seen a lot of really talented little dogs. Big dogs can too though maybe not excel. Seen Mastiffs, Great Danes, even a Great Pyrenees doing it. But I don't just want a Golden or Aussie cause they're working breeds, I truly love the breeds. Although I love and want lots of little breeds as well and huskies (both Alaskan and Siberian), GSD (probably WGSL or WGWL), Leonberger, etc. And terriers. But none of the others really work right now and Aussie and Golden are the best fits atm I think. Or Lab. Somewhat sick of stubborn dogs so Husky I think might be out plus they need so much physical exercise rather than being able to get away with more mental, Leonbergers are way too big and too much hair, and GSDs are too protective, my parents don't really like them, and most places don't allow them anyway. And little dogs are too little unfortunately. Don't want them getting crushed by Gator or Libby or their bigger doggy friends lol

Definitely going to go to some trials though.

But I want a dog than can do at least a couple sports, learn tricks, and wants to/can hike, possibly bike, swim, etc. And travel places.

Back
Top Bottom