performed eggectomy - what now?

Eliza

Songster
11 Years
Jun 16, 2008
Lisbon, CT
I had an egg bound hen. She was a MESS. Vent feathers a mess of sticky mucus and very little blood - probably from straining. I kept her inside for a few days, and today out of desperation I stuck her in the sink and plyed her with very warm water. I washed her clean and gently inserted my finger inside. right at fingertip level I could feel the egg. Hen started pushing and straining too. Poured peanut oil inside, no go. Finally and carefully broke the egg with s small sharp object. since the egg was so close the egg contents poured out and down the drain. carefully removed the pieces - very small amount of blood. Flushed and irregated the vent area with povidine iodine, and then hydrogene peroixide. because the vent was so swollen, preperation H was applied. Hen place on a clean towel and returned to darkened cage. Hen immediately went to sleep. What now? more vent irragation, and neosporin or what?

Sounds good so far! Keep an eye on it, if need be, add a lil vasoline at the vent opening, so further eggspelsions slide out a little easier. Doing good, let us know how she's doing..
fl.gif

HEN UPDATE: This morning - so far so good. Then, thinking about it, I moved chicken ICU next to wood stove (NOT TOO CLOSE!) Hen immediately cuddled close to stove, and drank a lot of water. Still not really eating. I can get her to nibble on treats like bread, some cheese and a mandarin orange slice. Hen is preening a little. HOWEVER, hen now has a quick head shake - frequent. I'm sure that there has been some neurological damage - but not sure what. Right now I'm just letting her rest and decide what she wants to do. Any thoughts????

Chicken, OK. and back in the hen house. No laying of eggs - that's ok with me!

Interesting eggs-u-date - reminds me of a yeast infection but it's below the vent and stuck on the skin. got rid of it, but it was interesting texture.. YUCK. any thoughts??

Back
Top Bottom