perhaps Mareks virus?

Okay, for future reference I would like to record the rest of the details on what has been going on with my girls (in case someone in the future has this problem and needs information.) In addition to my two limping hens I also noticed one that started falling asleep while drinking water, she would wake up when another would bump her to get a drink of water. I brought her in and gave her a Epsom bath. I examined her vent and after a bit it looked like her insides were coming out due to her tightening up and pushing, while I was feeling around to see if she had an egg stuck. A sac of clear fluid fell out of her vent (it looked almost like the same material as a thin latex glove and it was filled with water)
The treatment I used was determined by my educated guess that they had gotten a bacterial infection over the winter and that one hen had also gotten a secondary infection
causing Peritonitis.
Signs/symptoms:
(2) limping
(1) lethargic, messy drinker, and *water balloon pooper (?)
(6) diarrhea
(1) mouth gaped open and thrusting neck out like she had to vomit
Treatment:
7 days of amoxicillin (2) doses at 125mg per hen twice a day
Vitamin/electrolyte water
Diatomaceous earth mixture in food (I believe part of the reason they were not able to avoid the bacterial infection to begin with is because they were deficient in something, perhaps calcium or vitamins A & B, so their immune system was weak)
And an Epsom warm water bath to also help clean off their bums.
It seems to have worked, no more limping, no more dirty bums and no more falling asleep at the drinking well. Hope this can help someone in the future because I will tell you, the hen is no help at all!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom