Perkins and roosters?!?

Haydyh

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 20, 2014
I currently have 9 big hens and 2 Perkins in the same coop and I'm wondering if I could get a big rooster such as a Sussex rooster to live in with my pekins. Would the rooster bully and harm the pekins or will it be fine to get one?

I wouldn't personally feel comfortable with having a large fowl rooster over bantam hens, this can be fine and sometimes the rooster will not even mate the banty's and just mate with the large fowl hens... but I've heard of large fowl roosters crushing banty hens to death when mating
hmm.png
I would only try this is the rooster is extremely friendly and the difference in size is not too big - I'm not familiar with a large fowl sussex' size
roll.png

I wouldn't personally feel comfortable with having a large fowl rooster over bantam hens, this can be fine and sometimes the rooster will not even mate the banty's and just mate with the large fowl hens... but I've heard of large fowl roosters crushing banty hens to death when mating
hmm.png
I would only try this is the rooster is extremely friendly and the difference in size is not too big - I'm not familiar with a large fowl sussex' size
roll.png

friendly as in non-aggressive to his hens (not you)

Back
Top Bottom