Permectrin usage

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by flytpm, Sep 9, 2009.

1. flytpm

flytpm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Cookeville,TN
    Is it okay to make a dust bath with permectrin mixed in to prevent mites or is it too strong? I have 6 pullets. Haven't seen any mites yet.

2. flytpm

flytpm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Cookeville,TN
    Hello. Has all this rain put everyone to sleep? Wanting to use permectrin dust bath as preventive measure. Good or Bad? Also I mixed the wood shavings around in the coop this morning and noticed a slight ammonia smell. The shavings are dry. I sprinkled a little lime in there a few weeks ago, but I know they scratch in the shavings to find small bugs so didn't know if it was ok to lime again or not. Thanks for any advice.

3. a2ms4chickens

a2ms4chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    I'm not too sure about using the Permectrin in their dust baths. I usually use DE or ashes from our wood burning grill.

I have used the Permectrin and dusted the wood used for the chickens pens, but I haven't used it on the chickens or their dust baths. I had a really bad roost mite problem last year and found that Permectrin was the only thing that killed them.

I hope someone else will have a definite answer for you.

Good luck!!

4. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    I just looked at the Permectrin website and it said it was fine for use on poultry so go ahead and make that dust bath. As long as you don't have mites I would keep it that way and treat the coop with a few shakes here and there.

Being proactive is better than being reactive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by